Reground cams

Thissy

Right, i have been offered some reground cams for the GTi.. The work was carried out by 'Piper' at a cost of £240, obviously a reground cam is never going to be as aggressive as something off the shelf as they are only able to remove metal from the existing lobe. So in theory the lift will be decreased slightly but the duration increased? Would i still see gains from these whilst still keeping drivability?

Here are the specifications:

http://www.pipercams...?pid=LUPOBP270R

If anyone is aware of the spec of the standard cams that would be great.

Mike

Edited by Thissy

A regrind probably won't work run as well as a blank, due to the valvetrain geometry.

And if it doesn't work as well as a blank then you're in a whole world of trouble, being as i've got brand new blanks in my GTI.

It runs like crap and they'll be coming out soon. I've got engine lights all over the place, it's pinking and if i keep them in, it will at some point melt pistons due to pre-detonation. It's jerky, it cuts out and i'd advise against it.

Edited by Cooper_GTI

Yea i thought the same, they are mighty cheap hence why i considered it, in the long run would probably do damage to the lifters and other internals if they are not ground evenly.. Although i have got to say im surprised you have had such problems with your cams from 'cat-cams'.. After doing a bit of digging regarding cams i found nothing but good words about the company, i assume they incorporate the VVT and such? Do you not think a map would cure the issues?

Mike

Edited by Thissy

as long as the cams are designed to work with other standard parts then all you'll need is a map and you'll be fine. cooper, yours is probably running so badly due to the fact the standard map cannot deal with the cams and im sure if you had a custom remap done it would run fine and you'd notice the benefits of the cams.

Piper cams are fine, quality is up there with the best about.

I read on ELSA that you couldn't use a reground cam due to the valve train geometry been upset.

You need new lifters with a new cam/grind, using the old ones is just pikey.

The lift will increase as will the duration, they make the base circle of the lobe smaller, it's a bit tricky to understand.

Cooper, still no luck with getting them sorted out then?

No, still got the original (incorrectly made) inlet cam and now it won't even tickover and i'm getting 120-150 miles to a tank.

I'm very close to ripping them back out and putting the standard ones in, as the customer service i'm receiving is shocking to say the least. They should be going out of their way to help me out, but that just isn't the case.

No, still got the original (incorrectly made) inlet cam and now it won't even tickover and i'm getting 120-150 miles to a tank.

hmmm this is interesting as my Lupo on catcams cams has never wanted to idle...however I'm not getting any pinking as far as I'm aware!

Edited by truCido