Rattle?

jim8

Hi all, Hope someone may know whats up with my car (Arosa 1.0s). When the engine is idleing theres a slight rattle but when the clutch pedal is pressed down the rattle stops.

it sometimes makes the rattle when the car is moving too. Car has done 59,000 miles so i'm thinking clutch is on it's way out, but not slipping yet.

Cheers Jim

Edited by jim8

thrust bearing mate, may aswell change the whole clutch while in there tho haha
Thanks for that, is the thrust bearing the same thing as the release bearing?

mines got the same thing (thought it was the bottom end at first till i noticed it stopped when i put the clutch in), leave it till the clutch starts slipping then change the lot.
Yeah i thought mine was the tappets at first. but then i noticed it stopped with the clutch in.
I dont think it actually affects anything, it just makes a noise - like Chrisbee says, you could just leave it until the clutch needs replacing anyway

Sounds like the best idea, but don't think the clutch has much life left in it anyway :( Thanks all for helping out

By the way can somebody give me an idea of the cost to replace the thrust bearing and clutch? I thinking my holidays have just gone down the drain this year :yes:

not much, can get a clutch for around £50 bearings about £20, its the labour that pricy as its about a 2+ hour job

Thanks again for that, I thought it might have been a longer job than that :sweating: oh well lets just hope the clutch has a bit more life in it yet