Another "Will These Fit" question!

FunkyNutbar

Yup,

It's another will these fit question. Before you all point me towards the help section, I can assure you I have read it fully along with any other posts regarding sizes. The problem is, I just don't understand them. Yup, you can call me stupid, but just don't accuse me of not trying!

I have the 1 litre Lupo, with the standard 13" (highly kerbed) alloys on there and wanting to have a no hassle straight swap due to my astonishing lack of knowledge. I'm running with the standard suspension, so no lows for me but that should give a bit more clearance for the wheels? Maybe?

I'm looking at these:

http://www.gumtree.c...-tyres/98474402

They are 4 Stud Black Alloy Wheels With 195/50/15. I know 4 stud is what I want, 15 is the diameter, but I'm not sure what the 195/50 is all about.

Any help/abuse appreciated.

Ta,

Andy

Edited by FunkyNutbar

195 is the width of the tyre, 50 is the height of the tyre wall. 195/50/15s should be ok on standard suspension, I ran them for a bit & only got a bit of inner arch rubbing at the front on full lock when reversing. Rear tyres got raped by the arches when I had 3 people in the back though - never allow 3 people in the back of your Lupo kids! haha

Anyway you need more info from the seller:

PCD e.g. 4x100, 4x108 - you need 4x100 which is 4 studs 100mm apart

Centre bore - the diamater of the whole in the middle - you need 57.1mm, though if it's bigger you can get spigot rings to adapt them

Offset - aka 'ET' it's the distance between the face of the hub & the centre point of the wheel

Wheel width e.g. 6.5J, 7J - funnily enough this is the width of the wheel! Combined with the offset this will allow you - or more likely us ;) - to work out if they will fit under your arches

If they don't know the PCD or centre bore then they suck but you can ask what car they came off & work it out from there. All the above info should be stamped on the back of the wheels though tbh.

This has been Koop, your guide to world of facts.

Edited by Koop

Its not just 4 stud you need its 4x100 being the number of holes, 100 being the measurement between them (to put that simply). Many Fords however run at 4x108 so would not fit the lupo, these wheels could be 4x108 (you can't really tell by eye) in which case, no chance without adapters (if they're even available.

Next you have your centre bore, its the hole in the middle, Lupos/arosas needs wheels with a centre bore of 57.1mm (diameter of the hole). If the CB is too big, you have to get things called spigot rings (fairly cheap) that make the middle hole smaller. If the hole is to small to begin with however (less than 57.1) you will have to either get the hole machined out so its bigger or give up.

as far as the 195/50 thats tyre size. the 195 is the tyre width (i.e. tread touching the road) skinny tyres on your current alloys for instance ill be around 165-175. A BMW 5 series has 225s (not all of them just one i worked on last week). thats in mm by the way, so you can see why bmws have wider tyres: 225 is massively greater than 165.

the 50 (after the /) is the tyre profile, 50 is not really low profile, if you follow the instructions above, find these wheels fit and buy them, id change to 195/45 or 185/45, 45 is lower than 50 hence the lower profile. Maybe even a bit of stretch but thats a different story.

I think, you need to get more info from the seller, and then if you want them, go buy them :) i will warn you though, on a standard lupo, (if that fit that is) your car will look like a monster truck.

Beat me to it koop son ;) let this be a lesson learned, no need to scream and shout, its not too hard to help people!

Two extremely helpful and well written responses with no horrific insults. I feel privileged. Thanks for the explanation on the figures, makes much more sense now.

I'll ask the seller for the additional info and see what he comes back with.

As a thank you, I have mocked up a photo of what the wheels may look like according to Joeadamou.

6996590391_85b9906ed2.jpg

Right, enough hilarity and back to helping me! ;)

The guy selling them got back to me. He said the PCD was 100mm, the centre bore is 64mm and the width is 195mm. He didn't know the offset unfortunately. He wasn't sure what car they came off originally as he's selling them for a mate.

I take it this would mean I need some spigot rings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x4-Centre-Spigot-Rings-64-57-1mm-fit-VW-/160711031869

Is that them?

What do you regular modders rekon, worth a try or keep looking?

Probably a 6.5 or 7 J, no dish or owt so shouldn't be a silly offset, without lows they should be fine oi reckons