Bonnet release catch Help!!!

Storm1n

The Bonnet release catch is firmly shut, The cable is broken and i have tried every possible means to release the catch. Has anyone ever managed to beat this lock. I can't even drive it as i shut it overnight with a drained water system due radiator replacement.

I've just had a similar problem on my GTI!

You cannot pull the cable from underneath, as that would in fact be pulling the mechanism shut.

No amount of tugging, pulling, hitting or cursing will get it open.

You need to take the grill out.

Undo the 2 10mm's that hold the latch in, which are a bit awkward, but easy enough. The rectangular plate will fall off the back, but should drop to the deck.

There should now be a small amount of movement in the bonnet.

That black bar that you see going straight up in front of you (from behind the bumper to the slam panel) is bent over the catch to hold it in place. You need to pry this off with a scrrewdriver so you can then slip catch from underneath it and open the bonnet.

You'll see what i mean about the cable mechanism when you see it. It operates the other way to how you'd imagine!

I've just had a similar problem on my GTI!

You cannot pull the cable from underneath, as that would in fact be pulling the mechanism shut.

No amount of tugging, pulling, hitting or cursing will get it open.

You need to take the grill out.

Undo the 2 10mm's that hold the latch in, which are a bit awkward, but easy enough. The rectangular plate will fall off the back, but should drop to the deck.

There should now be a small amount of movement in the bonnet.

That black bar that you see going straight up in front of you (from behind the bumper to the slam panel) is bent over the catch to hold it in place. You need to pry this off with a scrrewdriver so you can then slip catch from underneath it and open the bonnet.

You'll see what i mean about the cable mechanism when you see it. It operates the other way to how you'd imagine!

Thanks i'll try that over the weekend.

Could somebody please take a picture from above the bonnet lock when it is in the locked position and post on here. This will give me a better idea of what I'm feeliing around for with screw driver.

Many thanks so far with your suggestions

Had this happen to me a couple of years back, and it's complete ballache. I would concur with the grill off method mentioned above, as reaching from below, when you've taken the underside engine protector off, proved fruitless and bloody annoying.

Once you've gotten the bonnet open i'd replace the complete cable/catch mechanism with new, in my case the cable housing where the two ends of the release cable meet had busted, i replaced the catch mechanism as it was stiff even with plenty of grease on it. The only difficultly with that is pushing the cable through the body work (fiddly) so it feeds down to the lever in the footwell -when there it's easy to connect.

Well thought i'd let you all know. I purchased a new lock and once i'd seen the lock it was easy to get the other one unlocked. I made a small mild steel hook and squeesed it under the emergency bonnet catch twisted it to the right and "hey presto" clunk and it was open. I will post some pictures when i get some time off in daylight. Thanks for everyones help. :thumbup:

Hi as I said I would provide pics to show how I opened the bonnet lock.

You must pull off the grill it will break at the sides but no one will notice.

456011.jpg

Once removed you will be able to see the front of the lock. The release is shielded by the emergency catch when its in the closed position.

Using a camping tent peg puller (pic below)

456006.jpg

which has been bent to allow it to pass over the slam panel lift and under the shield.

(The steel bar is only being used to simulate a locked bonnet)

456009.jpg

Using the slam panel as a fulcrum, lever the tool to the left forcing the lock release leaver to the right.

456010.jpg

That will do it.

I hope this is usefull to someone sorry if pics are to big (please feel free to resize)

The grill is only broken under the bonnet so you cant tell when its shut see below

2012-03-19022.jpg

Edited by Storm1n
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

somehow my boyf has managed to do this today whilst i was at work. only had to take the VW badge out. he was not a happy bunny last night when he couldnt do it read this figured out what he needed to push and voila no broken grill no clips missing all is good in the world. :D