EGR valve blocked symptoms?

Basically, my SDI is almost 13, I seriously doubt anyone's ever cracked it open and cleaned out the EGR.

I did the Intake restrictors and everything came alive!

i know where the EGR valve is and that the Vacuum lines operate it from some sensor thing mounted on the bulkhead. i could just crack it off and take a peek, But i don't actually know what to look for, I imagine its gonna be full of carbon and other Lovely stuff.

Also what would be the symptoms of a blocked EGR valve? The car runs fine but, I have noticed it to be a bit smelly whilst running? (Cant really describe the smell, its just like a strong Fume smell)

Im pretty certain there's NO exhaust Leaks ive sorted all of that. Is this Just another N/A derv thing?

Would there be any Benefit from Blocking it off?

Cheers, James.

first off, don't block it off, you don't really gain much performance from doing it vs the benefits it provides.

with it your engine will last longer, you'll have lower emmissions = passing tests more easily, and a cleaner fuel burn, which is all much of a muchness

I'd take it off and give it a clean out with some carb cleaner, the car will thank you for it haha

your right, should be sooted up if bad, otherwise just grimey, either way it's always good to clean em

symptoms are usually irregular or boggy power, and kangarooing when accelerating.

personally I'd look at a sport cat, and or delete the particulate filter "sometimes theyre intergrated into the cat body...meaow"

first off, don't block it off, you don't really gain much performance from doing it vs the benefits it provides.

with it your engine will last longer, you'll have lower emmissions = passing tests more easily, and a cleaner fuel burn, which is all much of a muchness

I'd take it off and give it a clean out with some carb cleaner, the car will thank you for it haha

your right, should be sooted up if bad, otherwise just grimey, either way it's always good to clean em

symptoms are usually irregular or boggy power, and kangarooing when accelerating.

personally I'd look at a sport cat, and or delete the particulate filter "sometimes theyre intergrated into the cat body...meaow"

I've gutted a fair few Cats (Catalytic converters only) in my time. Pry bar and hammer ;)

i have considered removing and bashing out its innards but im awfully worried about failing Mot on the smoke test.

Il give it a clean with some carb cleaner, when does the EGR open? i understand its at certain points and to clean it properly it needs to be open.

(Yeah i would get a Proper De-cat but i cannot afford one )

Edited by James827

Haha, yeah I think most people have done that atleast once lol, your right though, you'll get spanked big time when it comes to mot

Have a look into the particulate filter idea, *may be wrong in regards to lupos* but most of the time they are seperate from the cat, I've found some kias have them intergrated... It's like a soot bin that mops up after the egr, most of them are self maintaining and will fall into a cleanout cycle when cruising at 60-70mph for 10 mins+

Not 100% sure if you can make the egr open and stay open?

I know if it's full of crud it can jam open *making the car sound like a bag of spanners when idling, and kangerooing on acceleration*

I'd just take it off, clean it with some carb cleaner and a soft brass wire brush, strip it down as much as possible to do this.

Make sure to regrease it when afterwards, most guides forget to tell you that lol, and you probably won't need a new gasket, but it may be best to get new gaskets for it when bolting it back on, just makes for a descent job and gives peace of mind :)

Haha, yeah I think most people have done that atleast once lol, your right though, you'll get spanked big time when it comes to mot

Have a look into the particulate filter idea, *may be wrong in regards to lupos* but most of the time they are seperate from the cat, I've found some kias have them intergrated... It's like a soot bin that mops up after the egr, most of them are self maintaining and will fall into a cleanout cycle when cruising at 60-70mph for 10 mins+

Not 100% sure if you can make the egr open and stay open?

I know if it's full of crud it can jam open *making the car sound like a bag of spanners when idling, and kangerooing on acceleration*

I'd just take it off, clean it with some carb cleaner and a soft brass wire brush, strip it down as much as possible to do this.

Make sure to regrease it when afterwards, most guides forget to tell you that lol, and you probably won't need a new gasket, but it may be best to get new gaskets for it when bolting it back on, just makes for a descent job and gives peace of mind :)

i think its all integrated :( (If someone knows its not let me know) i think there's 2 silencers but one COULD be a particle filter or whatever.

where would i re grease? Inside the bit where the exhaust gas goes? (Seems a bit pointless to me? would just burn up) or where the vacuum line goes?

Yeah i get me some gaskets too, Wasn't sure if there was any to be honest? but there must be

They're usually in one of two places; just after the exhaust manafold, or in the first half of the cat box (engine side)

Haven't any idea as yet in regards to the SDi or TDI as I've not had a chance to take a closer look, will post my findings as and when I get a chance though, if someone doesn't contribute beffore hand, haha

Most if not all EGRs use a piston to opperate the recirc function, so relubing that piston with some high temp grease is always a good thing, and any other moving part... try to avoid getting grease inside the opening, but again as long as the moving parts have some grease on, then all is good

aye 9/10 they have gaskets, they're only usually a couple of quid too

Think Imma do mine soon, bet it's not been cleaned in a while!

there are many benfits from blocking off the egr valve,

all the diesel cars ive owned first thing i do is block off the egr valve and spend hours cleaning up the oil and dirt built up assosiated with the build up of the recirculating exaust gasses. ive never had any problems with immisions failing mots, or ever heard anyone failing mots after blocking it off.

just google blocking off egr valve you will find its a very standard and popular thing you can do to a diesel to improve it.

i made a blanking plate to block my sdi off after the valve, it does seem to run better and rev more freely, and there will be for sure no egr or oil build up

block it off!!!

Edited by jonisonvespa

first off, don't block it off, with it your engine will last longer, and a cleaner fuel burn,

personally I'd look at a sport cat, and or delete the particulate filter

Why would his engine last longer and burn cleaner with the EGR still there?

I very much doubt a Lupo SDI has a DPF

My apologies, I'm thinking of petrol egr valves in regards to blocking off

However I do know a couple of guys who've been told to refit them at their mot station hence me saying just leave it.

are there any stats on power gain or other improvement when blanking them off on the SDi and TDI?

if james is really serious about blocking off the valve, i can be peswaded to knock up another blanking plate up

what would you be asking for the blankers?

i am interested in this. have you got any pictures of the plate and how its done? Ive seen it blocked off from the manifolds before.

i guess i could just remove the Blacking plate if it causes problems for me

Edited by James827

yes sure you could remove the plate if it causes problems or fails the mot for immisions ect but to be honest ive never had or heard of problems with blanking off the egr valve, who in their right mind would want to exaust gases recycled bonkers.

its simply a plate with two holes on it blanking the hole after the egr valve, find your egr valve which is attached to the right of the air box unbolt it from air box you will notice a very thin metal gasket, its the same as this but with no hole.

if you want one made contact me or make one yourself out of thin 1mm or less plate easy peasy

In regards to the blocking off of the egr on the tdi, I've only found blanking plates that isolate the valve from the recirc pipe, but isn't a true egr delete, so you would still have the valve as a partial restriction.

Again this is for the 1.4 TDI, not looked into the SDi as yet

• 2 months later...

In regards to the 1.4 tdi "sadly not sdi" you can just buy the alard pd 90 golf egr delete kit

theres not much point just blanking the recirc if your going to do it, remove the valve as well and fit a straight through pipe, kills engine lag bigtime