Getting a das 6 polisher, need help ???

d4n91

As title I'm thinking of getting

My dad to buy me the das 6 polisher kit with menzerna polishes and sonus pads for my 21st. My question is will it be up to the task of vw paint ????? Or are the menzerna pads better ??? New help sharpish lol. Also will the das6 polisher be sufficient (it's not the 850w pro version but te 500w version) ? After reading bits I've seen vw paint is notoriously hard......

Cheers

Dan

I'd recommend getting the two polishes and grades of pads that Defcon5 has suggested.

I use them and I've also got a DAS-6, never had any problems and they handle most paintwork damage short of deep scratches.

Mine are still in one piece.

I think it depends how careful you are with them and how cautious you are when polishing over gaps in panels and trim strips etc.

I'd recommend getting some spotting pads as well as some larger pads as areas like the door pillars are difficult to polish without them.

This is what comes with one kit:

1 x CleanYourCar 240v DAS polisher

2 x Menzerna Compounding Pads (5")

2 x Menzerna Polishing Pads (5")

2 x Menzerna Finishing Pads (5")

1 x 250ml - Menzerna Power Gloss (S500) Cut 5.0 Gloss 1.0

1 x 250ml - Menzerna Intensive Polish (P085RD 3.02) Cut 3.5 Gloss 3.0

1 x 250ml - Menzerna Power Finish (PO106FA) Cut 2.0 Gloss 5.0

1 x 5" Backing plate, wrench and side handle, Canvas Carry Case

And this is the other:

The DAS-6 Dual Action Polisher - Sonus and menzerna Kit includes:

1 x CleanYourCar 240v DAS-6 polisher

1 x 5" Backing plate, wrench and side handle, Canvas carry case

1 x 250ml - Menzerna Power Gloss (S500) Cut 5.0 Gloss 1.0

1 x 250ml - Menzerna Intensive Polish (P085RD 3.02) Cut 3.5 Gloss 3.0

1 x 250ml - Menzerna Power Finish (PO106FA) Cut 2.0 Gloss 5.0

1 x Sonus SFX-1 5.5" Restore Pad

1 x Sonus SFX-2 5.5" Enhance Pad

1 x Sonus SFX-3 5.5" Finish Pad

1 x Sonus SFX-4 5.5" Final Finish Pad

Which would be your choice ?

Personally I'd go with the Menzerna kit as I've used it and know it's good. Like I said, get a small backing plate and pads too.

You won't really go wrong with either of the kits to be honest as neither of them are rubbish pads.

Why not try out Meguiars new MF system?

I've just purchased some new cutting discs and the correction compound so will test it out, I much prefer the rotary in terms of ease of use and how well it glides and just the general feel of the machine but am keen to try out the correction MF system.

We use the DA for applying sealants & waxes.

RE the kit you've suggested I'd go with the Menzerna kit too.

As said get a 3" backing plate for use with the 4" spot pads.

Cheers and I have seen the meguiars mf system but I think I'm going to give the menzerna kit ago and see where I get to with that. I take it the 4" pads are for the bumpers and b pillar etc ?

There's a 3" backing plate on the Cyc website what pad choice would you recommend ?? Menzerna ? Lake country? Etc

Lake country Hydrotech pads.

To be honest youll struggle to correct your car fully with a DAS6 DA.

That's why i said about the MF correction system.

We had an arosa in very recently for an enhancement and after 3 hits of Menzerna FG500 on a lake country purple wool pad on the rotary you'd be lucky if it removed a micron :/ was stupidly hard paint.

With being new to all this, I'm not expecting miracles but I'll look into the mf system

It's not that I don't think you'll be able to do it it's just a bugger to correct hard paint. Let us know how you get on mate? Cheers

It's true, hard paint is harder to correct and it'll take a lot longer with a DA than with a rotary but at least you won't make any rookie errors and burn through it!

That would be my worry

It's not that I don't think you'll be able to do it it's just a bugger to correct hard paint. Let us know how you get on mate? Cheers

Yeh no worries mate and will do but I'll more than likely drop you a pm and ask a few questions anyway

After seeing that theres a group buy on detailing world where you get £20 off the polisher i thought id have a play to see if i could get a bargain and it seems its paid off so i think im going to go for the following;

DAS6 Pro

1x Menzerna Compound Pad

2x Menzerna Polishing Pads

2x Menzerna Finishing Pads

The menzerna sample kit which includes;

- Menzerna Fast Gloss FG500

- Menzerna Power Finish PO85RD3.02

- Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA

- Menzerna Final Finish PO85RD

So all that ill need but with the DAS6 Pro for an extra £26 which in my eyes is a bargain

Just need to order a 3" backing plate, the menzerna 4" pad 3 pack and some tape then ill be ready to go

Edited by d4n91