Starlite tyre suggestions in 185/55/14?

jon_273

I need new tyres on the starlites so I can put them back on for summer. Need to have good performance and rim protection (my mum drives it). I had Federal SS-595 previously which looked great but performance wasn't great in the wet, especially the more they wore out.

Only tyres I can really come up with are Yokohama S drives. Anyone running these in 185/55? Thoughts?

T1R's are available in 195/55/14, these would have been ideal as they have good performance and rim protection. I have seen them on standard 6J arosa alloys and they were slightly ballooned so reckon they would look good on a 7J. Although they are hard to get hold of now and expensive.

P.S. Not dropping to 194/45/14 as I want to keep the gearing up and the car isn't on coilovers.

Yes 185/55 is the standard size, although they are normally fitted to 6" wheels and starlites are 7", hence wanting rim protection so they don't get kerbed too much.

Do your Falkens have rim protection?

Any pics would really help too :)

Edited by jon_273

Jon, I have Avon ZV3 on my silver Bathursts (front) and Michelin Pilot GTs (rear). Both sets have rim protection and I like them. Seen me safely home on some pretty good road trips in all weathers. I think when I eventually put them back on I'm going to put the Michelins on the front and see how they perform.

Dunlop SP Sports on the Dune and they have rim protection. Pretty good in the summer and wet, but crap in the snow as the open tread fills with snow and slush and turns them into slicks. Icy slicks!!!

Thought about this...

That's about the size of it tbh, your final gearing will technically be out too i.e. if you have a smaller rolling radius you'll accelerate through the gears quicker & if you have a larger radius your top speed will be slightly higher. Not so's you'd notice though probably lol

Toyo cf1's, yeah they seem well priced and think they have rim protection in that size. Will prob be a toss up between either those or the yoko's.

Ray, can't get any of those tyres in my size. Originally i did plan to get a set of bathursts as there is a much better choice of performance tyres! But i don't want do sell the starlites really and haven't got much storage space.

Not sure what that rim protector thing is, on my phone at the mo so can't really see it properly. Might look a bit odd?