how low can i go??

samregjones

Hi

I have a Lupo 1.4 16v sport and i'm looking to have a play and pretty it up a bit!

A guy at work is looking to get rid of some Golf 4motion wheels for cheap, I've looked into PCD adapters - 4x100 to 5x100(15mm spacer) and tyres - 185/55 R14 to 195/40 R16 to keep my speedo in check.

First off will 16s go on a non GTi? I've seen mixed threads on this, some say yes some no...

And i'm unsure of how much to lower it by once the wheels are on, if they fit. I'm not looking to slam it, I just want to get the wheels tight into the arches so the car doesn't look like its on 16" stilts!!

any help would be great.

cheers.

Yes 16's can work, you might need smaller tyres, but it all depends on the new rim width, offset etc. you will need it pretty low for 16's to work.

In my opinion 15's look loads better on non-GTI's, and are much easier to get to look good.

i'm only really going for the 16's as the guy i'm buying them off wants me to get him a tyre for his space saver wheel for the golf the wheels came off, which is going to cost £60-£70 quid, proper bargain for 4 alloys. but yeah 15's do look a bit better, ATS cups or BBS split rims off the Polo GTi would look nice but for the price i'm willing to go with 16's.

tyres are going to look like rubber bands painted on the wheels, 195/40 r16

i was thinking 30-40mm lowering? - can i drop it using springs and standard shocks or will that ride like a shopping trolley and knacker my shocks?

I used them on mine with standard shocks and had no troubles, was on there about 4k miles, will be posting them up on the for sale thread for £50 mate, unless you want them that is ?, reason for sale is I now have coilovers so dont need them