Fuel light??

seanoo

Fuel light came on in my sport the other day at 88 miles (don't worry, it wasnt a full tank!) I drove it to 147 miles before putting any more in but only put £30 from there so i dont know how bad it was. I won't be doing that again, nailbiting stuff hahaha.

The more correct question would be "how much fuel is left once the fuel warning light comes on" as different driving styles and lots of other things will effect the amount of miles you can travel on that amount of fuel.

when i fist picked my car up, the chap had put £5 in (back when fuel was around £1 a litre) and the fuel light was on. i drove around 50 miles before filling it up on the motorway, being as economical as i could.... not only because the fuel light was on but also because id just got myself a new car and wanted to look after it :)

i would not reccoment trying to see what mileage you get out of a light as you will be sucking up all the rubbish out of the fuel tank... i try not to let my light come on...

i would not reccomend trying to see what mileage you get out of a light as you will be sucking up all the rubbish out of the fuel tank...

Old wives tale. Might have been applicable 30 years ago but not anymore.

Old wives tale. Might have been applicable 30 years ago but not anymore.

would still be the case if poor quality fuel has been put in. hence having fuel filters etc... any debris within the fuel would sink to the bottom of the tank...

granted it would have been more applicable 30 years ago but it would certainly still have an impact

it would make a giant slurping sound like when you reach the bottom of a mcdonals milkshake...

i was just trying to help the op. not get all technical about how a fuel tank works... so lets stick to the point shall we...?

could you explain to the op how many miles he will get off his fuel light?

You recommended he didn't do it as he would be sucking all the rubbish out of his fuel tank, which as far as I can tell isn't explaining to him how many miles he can do 'off his fuel light' so maybe you should ask yourself the same question.

The point I am making is that the fuel pickup pipe is at the bottom of the tank, so if there were loads of crap settled there it would constantly be sucking it up. Modern cars have plastic tanks so there is no internal corrosion, and as such any contaminants have to be introduced in the fuel itself - these are extremely small and are easily dealt with by the fuel filter.

I beleive the light comes on when there are approx. 6 litres left, which at 45mpg would give you a range of 60miles. That would leave you with a very empty tank though!

i reccomended that AFTER i had answered his question...

A question in return is WHY would anybody want to know... the simple answer is get to a petrol station... thats why the light comes on in the first place...

A question in return is WHY would anybody want to know... the simple answer is get to a petrol station... thats why the light comes on in the first place...

But you didn't answer his question... So far all people have said (including myself) is how far theyve gone on the fuel light. Defcon was the only person to answer it with proper figures.

And it's bad practice to answer questions with questions ;)

Fuel tanks are filthy when you look inside.

However on the bottom of the fuel pick up there's a very fine mesh like microfilter which wouldn't allow and **** to go into the pump.

I asked the question out of curiosity, its nice to have a idea of how many miles of fuel you have left, when the warning light comes on. :) thanks for the posts guys!

Best way to find out: Next time your car is low on fuel put 5L of fuel in a container. Take your car on an average type road trip and when the light comes on set your trip counter. Then drive 'til it runs out of fuel. Kangaroo or coast to a safe location at the side of the road and stop. See what the trip counter is now reading. You now have your answer.

Now put the 5L of fuel in your car and hope it's enought to get you to a petrol station.

People run out of fuel every day. It doesn't ruin cars or there would be loads of newish cars in the scrappies.

Best way to find out: Next time your car is low on fuel put 5L of fuel in a container. Take your car on an average type road trip and when the light comes on set your trip counter. Then drive 'til it runs out of fuel. Kangaroo or coast to a safe location at the side of the road and stop. See what the trip counter is now reading. You now have your answer.

Now put the 5L of fuel in your car and hope it's enought to get you to a petrol station.

People run out of fuel every day. It doesn't ruin cars or there would be loads of newish cars in the scrappies.

Unless you run a diesel car! Running a diesel out of fuel can damage the fuel pump as it uses the fuel to lubricate the pump and these can cost around £400 for the part. Don't ask how i know this :surprised: