mk1 starting problem

si_leeds

when i turn the key the starter motor turns but cant feel or hear the engine being cranked, and the starter motor sounds like it has no resistance as if its not connected to the engine, have checked cam belt and its all in tact, anyone got any ideas? i was thinking maybe pinion bearing after what iv read but im no genious when it comes to mechanics.

also tried starting it in gear and it doesnt move which is why im thinking pinion?

thanks in advance

HI, what you may find it is is the is the shift fork. Could be stuck or broken.

What happens when you turn the key to the starter motor is the starter solenoid shoots back pulling the shift fork and engaging the starter motor pinon then as that happens some contacts are connected at the back of the solenoid and the motor is connected therefore spinning the pinion and starting the car. so it sounds like the solenoid is shooting back but not engaging the pinion. so my recommendation is new starter motor.

If you are needing to start it try taping it with a hammer, as this may free the shift fork and engage the starter motor.

Hope to be some help.