Using a Switch for internet - Problem!

JamesU

Hey All,

I've recently moved out, and im having a bit of bother with my internet...

Until yesterday everything was fine, i have a wireless router which throws a signal to laptops and phones...

Then a ethernet cable out the back of the router into my xbox and it's been working fine.

Yesterday i have put a switch in place, so now the cable out the back of the router goes into the switch, then i have 3 ethernet cables out of that, one going to my sky box, one to my xbox and one to my ps3.

Suddenly, that shut off the internet to the laptops, which i thought would be ok as long as i deleted the access point from the laptop then restarted it (I assumed that the laptops would've been trying to connect to 192.168.0.1 and the xbox would've taken over as that was the first connection). But this didnt work at all on the laptops or mobile phone internet.

If i take the ethernet cable out of the router the laptops easily connect.

However, when it is all plugged in, i go to network settings on the xbox and the xbox shows the ip as something odd, i.e. 265.32.6.3 instead of the standard 192.168.x.x

The cables are definitely patch and not crossover as they were made at work.

So, this is the setup that works:

Router (Giving off wireless to laptops and phones) > Xbox

Setup that im having problems with:

Router (Giving off wireless to laptops and phones) > Switch > Xbox, PS3 and Sky.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Daft question, the cable going to the switch from the router, is it in the right port on the router? My sky router has 4 ports i think, but only one of them is meant for 'internet'

265 isn't a proper ip address, they only going up to 255.x.x.x

I was just making the IP up as i cant remember what it was but it wasnt 192.168.x.x lol...

And it must be going to the right port, because that port works fine without the switch, if the cable is from router to xbox, but if i put the switch on it doesnt work.

I read somewhere i may need a crossover cable, so im going to try that tomorrow.

Only if it's a really old switch, most switches these days are auto MDI/MDIX, and if its an old switch it'll probably have an 'uplink' port that has a physical switch to turn it into a crossover port.

What router do you have?