Question is.. 1.4 Sport (100bhp) or 1.4 TDI?

VWFTW

Yes.

And yes, a TDI needs to be Y reg and onwards for cheap road tax.

TDIs FTW. :D

wish they would have put an hydraulic in them all..the clutch in the TDI must be made to cope with similar torque outputs to the GTI then,unless it's needed to compensate for a different clutch arm ratio

It depends tbh, I have got a sport and im loving it, hmmm... fuel efficient ? out of full tank max about 180 miles/200 miles which is quite not too, it dropped after I had my induction kit fitted. Umm diesel its very fuel efficient proof :

Up to you, I prefer my petrol car, at least it doesnt sound like its runing on petrol with sand paper :)

with the price of diesel it evens out really and if they go wrong it can be big ££££ turbo's, injectors. pumps etc, plus with the small power range the td's have it can be a chore to drive them "fast" but they are cracking little engines specially if your doing alot of miles as they'll sit at 70mph at 1500-2krpm.

While the petrols screams its head off lol

Low geared motorway screamers can do one, if I had a petrol sport I'd have to drop the S gearbox in lol

TDI will be well cheap on petrol, absolutely zero petrol required in fact. Diesel might be useful though ;)

Engine swap? Reg plate swap? Or did the TDI come in E & Sport trim perhaps?

there has been a reg swap from P40 LMF to that number now. and got told by the DVLA today that it was on a private plate before that! so **** knows what P40 LMF stands for *answers on a postcard please* haha

and yeah rang the bloke, and it aint for sale anymore..

anyways! so im still looking for a motor.. TDI FTW still? can i have a show of hands? lol joke

i've had my sport for just under 8 years and the mpg ive been happy with always get 40 - 44mpg no matter what way its driven, drops a bit in the cold weather but never had lower than 37mpg.

and not had to do much to the car in the 8 years aart from usual things oil change etc etc

fun to drive and ive used mine everyday for commuting and for pleasure. lovely car, but now time to sale as wanting kids so car to small sad day when she sales :(

cheers daz

Edited by Daz1981dp

its all about the diesel mate ive had my tdi for about 6 months now. ive had a little problem with a crank sensor but thats about it. i can get about 120 miles out of a £10 and my insurance is £450 a year and im 20 and have points lol. really good cars mate. all u need to do to them is a remap and decat it as well. Oh and dont forget to deck it lol

I've got the lupo tdi and also remapped it. the torque is incredible. Left 1.4 sports standing until i get to about 90 - 100.. But after remapping it also drinks alot.. well for some reason mine does..

Incredible torque? leaves higher powered cars standing? 100mph+ racing?

This is what is known as diesel self justification syndrome. Next up will be quoting the torque of the car and comparing to to a VTEC engine, ignoring the issue of revs and gearing.

This is what is known as diesel self justification syndrome. Next up will be quoting the torque of the car and comparing to to a VTEC engine, ignoring the issue of revs and gearing.

And whats wrong with that?... ;)

Edited by jon_273

To LupoEM22 -

If you have decided to go for the TDI then there is quite a few for sale on the Autotrader site unusually there are 7 cars on!

Various colours, miles & obviously prIces!

Might be worth a look!

Cheers Gav

And whats wrong with that?... ;)

You also forgot to mention the cool trick of getting a hole in your diesel fuel return pipe and creating smokescreens and spraying the car behind you with manky oiliness :tongueout:

Heh, hardly. I've driven a diesel most of my driving life. Renault 21 GTD, Pug 306 1.9XRD and Pug 306 HDi. Its only now i've stopped doing the miles i've switched to petrol only. If i start doing miles again, I'll more than likely get another one.

as said earlyer, no point at all in the diesel if you dont do many miles, if your just popping around town, the sport will be better for that driving style, diesel will most likely have a heavier clutch, not great in constant traffic. As for sports having bad fuel economy, either the car concered is ruined or you drive everywhere in second gear. My ibiza has (essentially) the same engine and I get a healthy 38-42 constant mpg from a car around a 3rd larger and heavier with a bmc cda fitted. My gf has a sport and yes she gets around 225-250 miles to a tank.. because the tank is smaller than most cars only 35 litres iirc. But she gets 39-45mpg consistantly and she makes it struggle all the time cos she has her music too lound!

TDI will be fun and lots or torque, but without a remap it will not be very quick. Sport is revvy, nippy and is fine on petrol. I can see why its a tough choice and its simply down to how many miles you do. 10 miles commute will not be good for a tdi.