Who can map a GTI??

Cooper_GTI

i think most dont bother as if standard the gains are minimal for the money however if youve got a fair few mods eg. induction, full exhaust system etc then it will be more worth it

Edited by d4n91

Well being as i have high lift cams, manifold, decat, supersprint backbox, BMC induction, lightened flywheel i'm sure i'll benefit from a remap.

It seems as though there may be some detonation, so the ignition timing needs sorting asap really.

Anyone ever used Stealth Racing?

Well being as i have high lift cams, manifold, decat, supersprint backbox, BMC induction, lightened flywheel i'm sure i'll benefit from a remap.

It seems as though there may be some detonation, so the ignition timing needs sorting asap really.

Anyone ever used Stealth Racing?

Stealth Racing quoted me about £500 for mapping my Arosa Sport, it's had a bit more work done than your Gti. I went to JBS and it cost me around the £300 mark. They had a right nightmare mapping it, it took all day because of the type of chip used in them. After it was done they said the amount of work and time it took to do normally that amount of mapping time would have set me back £1000. So if you find someone willing to map it make sure you get them to agree on a price first.

JBS are chesterfield...

not saying anyone is wrong but you can get horror stories about anyone and anything so i wouldnt eliminate them straight away... if you need it doing then you will just have bite the bullet and pay the price.

i personally would rather pay the extra cost for a good job. get what you pay for really... in most cases

I'm hoping for around 150 @ the flywheel. It may be a little optimistic, but i don't really know what to expect from these cams!

I'll be letting everyone know what it's made and i'll give you GTI owners some more info on the cams when it's mapped and working properly.

I'm getting engine lights galore with the new cams, so i'm going to check the cam timing again tonight, just to make sure it's not a tooth out. Although the tickover is good and it's got more torque and revs harder a lot higher up the rev range, so they can't be far out, if any!

Looks like i'll be going with R-tech. They have some great reviews and seem to know their stuff.

sounds good man let me know your figures really interested in this as ive got a gti lump with aas exhaust and mani. Getting the head ported and polished then getting a map as cams are looking to be hard to find and very pricey.

Turns out that R-tech can't map a GTI. They wanted my car for 2 weeks to see if there is anything they can do, but that's just not feasible as i use it daily.

Back to square one!

Well I didn't really look into the horror stories when it came to having my car mapped by JBS. It was mapped & cost me around £300. I got 123bhp @ the fly & 97bhp @ the wheels with 108lb. My car has been lightened as well, plus the flywheel was lightened. All I can say is that my car is quick & extremely responsive. For the cost of mapping these type of engines, it seems there's not many companies capable or willing to under take it. So if you do find someone you'll have a rare GTI, it's had engine work & remapped. Kind of like my Arosa Sport but unfortunately my Sport is up for sale.

Awesome were the only people I knew of who have done it and made good gains although I'm not sure of others.

I did quite a bit of research in to this when I was looking at mapping my Gti after the charger conversion. The Gti has a soldered chip, so it needs to be de soldered and a base added to the Ecu pcb so it can be removed and refitted after mapping. Speak to andyp as his charged Gti has the standard Ecu fitted and has been mapped this way, I'm sure he will have the details of the guy he used, think he's In the Lincolnshire region iirc.

It needed some sort of emulation software where you plug the computer in to the Ecu chip socket and it emulates the chip in the Ecu, you use the computer to map the car and them upload it to the chip when finished.

John

Have you tried chippedUK? I had my gti engine custom mapped there (not on a gti ecu though) and would recommend them. Hopefully they'd be able to do the gti ecu...

As to your power... I have a similar setup, but with a lightened / knife edged crank, no VVT, and lupo sport cams, and made 150 bhp, so you should easily do that too.

Andy

Try Chip Wizards in Rochdale. I have no experience from the guy with Lupo's but he's highly rated amongst various different clubs and from what i've heard, he's pretty knowledgable! Even if he cant do much with your GTI, worth a call at least!