Lupo GTD

burningsextornado

how easy is the conversion? Really want my badly running 1.4 petrol to give way to this engine!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

They handle like **** and struggle from massive wheel spin. The excess weight at the front of the sdi makes them a dream in snow.... Ask me how I know ;)

The TDI is arguably too heavy at the front end with only 3 cylinders, 4 cylinders with wider wheels and lowered suspension makes a poor argument and with the central exhaust no good for towing. It is pretty though:D

Edited by weslangdon

Fair point but in the UK our motorways are either clogged with traffic or over policed with speed cameras. Our A roads are neglected as well, most are rutted and potholed so exploiting a GTI or a Sport is fairly difficult. Oh for the empty well cared for roads of France. Don't tell me the Autobahns are great in Germany, they are also hit and miss with many having only 2 lanes and in poor condition 

The Autobahn A7 is only 4km away and the condition is okay. So i can drive fast nearly whenever i like. The driveabilitiy of the 1.9 TDI on bendy roads is also not so bad as you might think. Its really not compareable to my GTI, but not too bad. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, weslangdon said:

Fair point but in the UK our motorways are either clogged with traffic or over policed with speed cameras. Our A roads are neglected as well, most are rutted and potholed so exploiting a GTI or a Sport is fairly difficult. Oh for the empty well cared for roads of France. Don't tell me the Autobahns are great in Germany, they are also hit and miss with many having only 2 lanes and in poor condition 

As someone who lives in France, I would like to add that the grass is not always greener. Yes the autoroutes are very good, but you pay for it in toll charges. I drove back to the UK recently and have to agree that the UK roads now seem terrible in comparison. But in France there still traffic, and the smaller roads often have poor surfaces. And the roundabouts entrances/exits have a stupid shape.

I would imagine this is very easy to exploit to the maximum. TDI PD's are all about riding that big surge of torque, which can be done from very low speeds. I think I'd quite happily drive about in this!

9 hours ago, jon_273 said:

As someone who lives in France, I would like to add that the grass is not always greener. Yes the autoroutes are very good, but you pay for it in toll charges.

Intreresting, I spend lots of time in France, in fact I've just returned from two weeks in the South West, and I often find myself longing for their good quality (And mostly empty) roads when I get back to blighty -_-

Where abouts are you jon-273? Are you working out there?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Intreresting, I spend lots of time in France, in fact I've just returned from two weeks in the South West, and I often find myself longing for their good quality (And mostly empty) roads when I get back to blighty -_-

Where abouts are you jon-273? Are you working out there?

The autoroutes are great, but it can get expensive. But then you don't pay VED on your car every year so it's swings and roundabouts. Also also the country is 5 times the size of the UK with the same population so it's no wonder it's less congested than the UK. The better weather almost certainly helps preserve the road conditions too.

Yeah I'm working out here, just outside of Geneva, very close to the border. I spend a fair bit of time in CH too. If you are ever in my area come and say hello!

Did you come over in the SDI?

3 hours ago, jon_273 said:

The autoroutes are great, but it can get expensive. But then you don't pay VED on your car every year so it's swings and roundabouts. Also also the country is 5 times the size of the UK with the same population so it's no wonder it's less congested than the UK. The better weather almost certainly helps preserve the road conditions too.

Its actually nearer to 3 times as big, but not quite

Edited by weslangdon

18 hours ago, jon_273 said:

Yeah I'm working out here, just outside of Geneva, very close to the border. I spend a fair bit of time in CH too. If you are ever in my area come and say hello!

Did you come over in the SDI?

Very kind, but Geneva tends to be a bit out of the way of my usual route there TBH.

RE coming over in the SDI, I was tempted but in the end decided agaisnt it on the basis that I've only known the car for about 16 weeks, it's old and has 125k on the clocks, and additionally I had my wife and 21 month old son in tow this time and didn't want to subject them to any potential breakdowns/cramped conditions. Had it just been me I would have done TBH, but this time we borrowed a 15 reg Corsa from my younger brother and made the trip in that.

Edited by JoeyEunos

7 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Very kind, but Geneva tends to be a bit out of the way of my usual route there TBH.

RE coming over in the SDI, I was tempted but in the end decided agaisnt it on the basis that I've only known the car for about 16 weeks, it's old and has 125k on the clocks, and additionally I had my wife and 21 month old son in tow this time and didn't want to subject them to any potential breakdowns/cramped conditions. Had it just been me I would have done TBH, but this time we borrowed a 15 reg Corsa from my younger brother and made the trip in that.

Fair enough, I can understand your reasoning. Also being an SDI it won't have air con, which can make things a bit uncomfortable in france!

I see quite a few cars on UK plates around this area. Even more so in winter, probably as a lot of people pass through this area for skiing.