Steam clean engine bay

Tomjw

Hi all, basicly there's a good ENGLISH cleaning company who offer a steam clean option for the bay, they said I have to keep the engine running but doesnt it damage anything? Just wondering if its safe or not as my bay is a mess and really want it doing.

You need to cover your air intake & battery if you're steam cleaning so I wouldn't have thought running the engine was a good idea. Seems a bit odd to me.

Dont know its just what they told me wether they mean jet washing the bay with a fine mist instead of steaming :/

I really havent got a clue LOL! I would definately ruin my engine if I did it myself :(

Tom dont steam clean. Get a couple of cans of 'Gunk' engine degreaser and a few detailing brushes and get scrubbing. Thats how I did mine. It does take a long time but take you time and it will come out really well. I did Amy's engine bay very very quickly in about 2 hours and it looks 100 times better. With my GTI have spent probably 40 hours on it in all.

Its a lot safer than a steam clean or jet washing IMO.

Alex

Edited by fatttty

i used AG engine and machine cleaner on mine, a brush, MFs and some water. I managed everything that can be cleaned without removing the engine

i tried that and thought it was rubbish in comparison to tardis! tardis worked great for me when i had the front end off

Tom dont steam clean. Get a couple of cans of 'Gunk' engine degreaser and a few detailing brushes and get scrubbing. Thats how I did mine. It does take a long time but take you time and it will come out really well. I did Amy's engine bay very very quickly in about 2 hours and it looks 100 times better. With my GTI have spent probably 40 hours on it in all.

Alex

Ahh cheers :) Ive been meaning to PM you on facebook about it!

As Marcus said Tardis is very good, know a few people who have used. The Gunk engine degreaser can be found at Halfords and usual car part places. It foams up nicely. Only draw back is it makes the tarmac really slippy so keep washing it away down a drain and try not to slip over like i did lol

• 3 weeks later...

Alex

My question may seem a bit stupid,

but how does degreaser works ? don't you have product remaining after cleaning, that you have to rinse ?