Running costs of Lupo's

James827

Basically I've been pondering whether my SDI was a logical choice as my first car.

After comparing all sorts of figures and what not with my friends who drive much faster petrol cars, I've concluded there's not much in it.

I'm paying £215 tax (year)

£1250 insurance (no mods, first year)

and i do over 1k a month (£55 every 2 weeks - 500mi tank average)

Obviously this is my first car so i cant really compare it to any other cars but i really considering Swapping or selling up and next year getting a quicker Lupo or VW.

I was just wondering if people could tell me if a Quicker sport or TDI would be much more to run on Fuel tax etc?

Dont mind paying out a little extra if there's a lot more power, i know my insurance on the SDI will eventually drop like a stone but there's not actually allot in it between a sport and an SDI after a years experience. (for me anyway)

I know it seems like i'm getting really freaking good MPG, 60 i think? but with the difference in petrol and diesel being as high as 10p in some garages! & the tax, i'm thinking is it actually cheaper to drive a diesel or a petrol?

Frigging taxes.

Driving a derv or a petrol depends on how many miles you do, also the duration of the journeys, stop/start.

I drive a TDI and I get about 50 mpg, £30 to tax and I love the thing.

We like our diesels at IDGM HQ but from an economical motoring aspect, the Ibiza is not cheap to run for the miles it does. It's now doing less than 5000 miles a year and the average for the near seven years since we've had it isn't much more. So when you take into account what it cost over the petrol plus the extra in pence per litre, we've been silly.

But we love the kick in pants that remap gives us.

I have suggested we go petrol next time. Mrs M is not so sure.

I like the looks of the 320D.

:) i quite like the brand new 3 series, they've made them all look like the next one up from the previous generation (e.g. 3 now looks like a 5, 5 looks a lot like a 7)

:) i quite like the brand new 3 series, they've made them all look like the next one up from the previous generation (e.g. 3 now looks like a 5, 5 looks a lot like a 7)

My dad drives a 120D Coupe. it gets confused with a 3 series all the time. the BMW 2.0L d is a very good engine, Quicker than MOST of the petrol options, £30 tax and around 50mpg.

Its not even noisy. Diesels have come a long way, and in all honesty if i were buying a brand new car id buy the diesel option as its probably going to be the better choice. but and Older Diesel? hmm

Edited by James827

My running costs are awful. Full tank gets me.. 100 miles, if that, on A12 up and back each day.

erm 100 miles out of a full tank!?! Lupos got what a 30 litre tank? That's 15mpg...I'd expect that from a 450bhp Evo...something wrong with your car!

Edited by truCido

erm 100 miles out of a full tank!?! Lupos got what a 30 litre tank? That's 15mpg...I'd expect that from a 450bhp Evo...something wrong with your car!

Put ATS Classics 13/175/50's on your car and you will know how awful it is. No one ever believes how terrible it is haha.

can anyone tell me how much a full tank of PETROL costs? (38L) for me, it depends on how low i run it, but usually around 55, if i grow a pair maybe 60. and yes, SDI's after march 01, are 30 tax. I guess on a sport id be using twice as much fuel. I've done 350 miles this week. maybe it wouldn't be cheaper to Drive a sport. a gti would be fun, much faster, similar tax but horrendous insurance

The Gti gets better mpg than the sport.. So unless the insurance is alot more expensive on the Gti id go for that. Yes tax is an extra £40 for 12months but you'll soon save that back on fuel.

Mike

Edited by Thissy

My GTI is great on fuel to be fair.

Although when the needle gets to half way it seems to drop rapidly to empty. :S

My GTI is by far the best all round car i've ever bough and i've had some pretty iconic cars!

It does everything, economical, quick, cheap insurance, reliable, looks great, cheap parts, handles well, easily modified, eats up motorway miles etc...

Put ATS Classics 13/175/50's on your car and you will know how awful it is. No one ever believes how terrible it is haha.

That still sounds like there is a fuel leak .

Or your car is buggered

£35 at most for my 1.4E filling up from almost nothing.

Are you releasing the gasses and getting a full £38L in? maybe that's why your getting 100 to a tank

The Gti is gets better mpg than the sport.. So unless the insurance is alot more expensive on the Gti id go for that. Yes tax is an extra £40 for 12months but you'll soon save that back on fuel.

Mike

I would LOVE a GTI, but Im 18, and when it comes to renewal i have 1 years driving experience with no accidents or losses, but i'm not on my own policy so No NCB. so as you can imagine its pretty damn high. (no actual figure's, Wanted me to ring up for a price) and plus its have to sell my car at least 2 times over to afford one haha.

My S takes about 40 quid, paying around 1.34 a litre round here atm

How many miles outta that £40?

Oh and just thought id say, I did consider a 1.0 when i was buying mine but me and my dad both agreed mine felt much better to drive and besides, mine came up in VGC and a low mileage for a 12yr old Derv VW so i just jumped at the chance haha

&

for the people interested in the BMW's, If you ever consider using Bio Diesel you cant. it will only take Diesel.

What happens to tax on cars when the engine is swapped? Will it stay the same or be cheaper if the shell the engine goes into is newer? (Moved my SDI engine into a 01-05 Shell - May sound pointless but i've got a Bit of a plan in my head :) )

I get over 200 out of a tank easy, I've had 70 out of a tenner with uber careful granny driving!

Over the last 4 months and 2000 miles in my Lupo GTI I have averaged 35.5mpg, according to a calculator app on my phone.

That's a lot of short town journeys, some long runs, and some blasts.

To brim a tank with V-Power costs about £45. I got £50 in once when it was pretty much empty.

Averaged about 220-230 miles to a tank.

Had about 350 miles out of a tank once.

I agree with Cooper. The Lupo GTI is an awesome all-round car. :wub:

so by the looks if i bought a 1.4s/e or a GTI id be spending £45 a week. But in my current car i can do at best 550miles on £60 Hmmm..

id say 550 miles would be 2 weeks of just Commuting with very little out side of that action,

so 45X52 = £2340 a year on Petrol (without price changes & work breaks taken into account)

and with my SDI we half the Weeks (extra week out of tank) 26x60 =£1560 a year on Diesel.

£800 difference in yearly fuel cost.

and in total with lets say £100 less tax, and £200 more insurance =

£900 a year More for a 18yr old to drive a 1.4s over a SDI with the same trim level..

Honestly, I hate maths, but i cant argue with those numbers.. Any one got how far a 1.0 will go on a tank of fuel and the tax? would be interesting to find out the difference.

a TDI is lets say £200 cheaper on tax, does same MPG but costs around £250 more to insure (ish) so £50 extra for me to run a TDI. but once again, to get a TDI in the condition i'd like i'd be spending £2500+ and i don't have £900 extra to spend (assuming i could sell mine for £1700)

im guessing the newer sdi's are less on tax?

had a sport, think tax was about 160ish a year????..maybe a tad more.

fuel, used to get like 230 a tank...i think lol.

Sounds like marcus was getting slightly better than mine is, but still only around 41.8mpg assuming he used 25L.

For me the tax is 90 something for 6 months, which when u forget about it, can hit hard!

For me around 25 litres gets anywhere from 150 to 200 miles, never got any more even trying to be "eco", it is strange that it uses the least fuel when it is travelling faster (80-90), but i think it is the gearing to blame for that and the lack of any torque below 4250revs. using an mpg calculator, i was quite shocked that it was only 27-36mpg... So compared to what the figures say it should do, 29.4 urban, 54.3 extra-urban, im fairly sure they are over optimistic! sports are great fun to drive, but u would want for that little bit more on a motorway, and fuel is horrific, a normal 1.4 isnt much slower, has more low down torque which will be an easier daily drive, and economy is far better. That would be my advice, and it wont hit too hard on insurance!

Although after browsing autotrader today this looked extremely nice!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201204443757637/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/model/lupo/make/volkswagen/page/1/postcode/ta28as/keywords/sport/radius/1500?logcode=p#

red, low mileage, ragtop sport with gti seats CD and AIRCON!!! - good price too!