VW Up GT approved!

Brother_Will

Thank God, the bumper on the standard one's awful. 110bhp 3 cylinder turbo anyone? Man that thing's gonna scream haha

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking about the competators to this car and looking at them in comparison alot that have +20hp on the up gt, but comparably they are about 50kg heavier.

But looking at it on a power to weight ratio wize the up gt will comparbly at the bottom of the list.

Abarth 500 essese - 160bhp at 1035kg - 154.59bhp per ton

Abarth 500 - 130bhp at 1035kg - 125.6bhp per ton

Renault Twingo Sport - 130bhp at 1050kg - 123.81bhp per ton

Comparably to the up - 110bhp (est) at 960kg (est) - 114.58bhp per ton

Also for more comparasion the orignal lupo gti - 123bhp at 975kg - 126.15bhp per ton (so technically in bhp per ton the lupo gti is faster than the newer car!)

But one upside it will do plenty of mpg though....

Thank God, the bumper on the standard one's awful. 110bhp 3 cylinder turbo anyone? Man that thing's gonna scream haha

This design has been around for YEARS!

I had a 3cyl turbo engine in my charade GTti, CB-80! VW using old designs again... :(

I was just thinking about the competators to this car and looking at them in comparison alot that have +20hp on the up gt, but comparably they are about 50kg heavier.

But looking at it on a power to weight ratio wize the up gt will comparbly at the bottom of the list.

Abarth 500 essese - 160bhp at 1035kg - 154.59bhp per ton

Abarth 500 - 130bhp at 1035kg - 125.6bhp per ton

Renault Twingo Sport - 130bhp at 1050kg - 123.81bhp per ton

Comparably to the up - 110bhp (est) at 960kg (est) - 114.58bhp per ton

Also for more comparasion the orignal lupo gti - 123bhp at 975kg - 126.15bhp per ton (so technically in bhp per ton the lupo gti is faster than the newer car!)

But one upside it will do plenty of mpg though....

I really wouldn't have put the UP as a competitor to any of those! Ofcourse its not faster, they're a complete different league.

I'd have thought the Twingo sport was a competitor to the Up tbf, agreed on the Abarths though

Of course this isnt a GTI replacer, better to think of it closer to the Sport. I think we will see the GTI come a couple of years down the line if the GT was meant to be the range topper they would have used the full GTI moniker instead its still kept in reserve for later....

Well they will be 5 stud I'm sure, in which case theres a wealth of other VW wheels around also :)

Amazingly, they are four stud. Talk about retro.

Amazingly, they are four stud. Talk about retro.

4x100 & 57.1mm cb no less, sweet :D

The up! GT will go on sale early next year – but Auto Express has been told there's no reason a more potent version wearing the GTI badge can't go on sale

Read more:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/278104/vw_up_gti_rumoured.html#ixzz1mS71RS6j