Phatnoise MP3 Player installed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how `nimble-fingered` you are and what your eyesight is like smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

iPod has one of the best navigation systems available on a handheld player, and I'd guess it's not bad in the car either.

QUOTE(snoopstah)
Navigation is still my worry - working through x000 songs with just the Gamma controls and display doesn't sound the easiest thing in the world.

It's quite easy once you organise the songs into discs.

The way I did it was to have a disc1 `A-E`, disc2 `F-J` etc...

Then when you search by Disc You can Jump the alphabet easier.

It also means you don't need to look at the display when searching as the Album and Artist names are spoken to you.

There is no useful info displayed on the Gamma apart from the Number of the Album. ie Album 20 out of 200.

I just put in on Shuffle. Then if you hear a song you like from a certain album you can turn off shuffle and listen to that album

My new cable arrived this morning, and I went to test it - soon realised that I'd pushed back one of the pins on the Phatbox adaptor cable, so didn't actually need a new changer cable at all!! (the adaptor lead plug seemed to be a bit of a problem for me, but got it in the end!)

It's now up and running, and it is GREAT! I'm already used to the navigation - as long as you set it up properly with CDs and playlists, then it's absolutely fine.

Tim, go and buy one!

• 2 weeks later...

John will this only work with a Gamma headunit?

Im so so tempted.

The only thing I would miss from my Alpine is the sub control.

Everything else I would scrap.

Think the new Loop would be much better with the standard headunit.

How much would that cost inc the duties ?

It will work with the beta, 100% certain.

Shipping is $70, and duty about 30 or 40 quid, so about £150 - £160 quid in total.

Then you'll need a cable, about £15... and an A/C adapter for the caddy as the one in the box is U.S.

Still a proper bargain though.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Buy it, you know you want it. From what I've read of his posts, bossjohn had no major issues with it when installing his, and seems very happy with it. I'd certainly go for one if I didn't have an iPod.

Buy it, you know you want it. From what I've read of his posts, bossjohn had no major issues with it when installing his, and seems very happy with it. I'd certainly go for one if I didn't have an iPod.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And therein lies the problem. I already have a Rio Karma which I link to the Gamma with one of those tape converters. Not brilliant, but is it worth £190 to upgrade?

Not brilliant, but is it worth £190 to upgrade?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do see your point, but... wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I've currently got more or less what you have, tape adaptor + iPod in my case. It works ok, but I've always hankered to have it properly intergrated, hence why I'm getting the ICE Link for £100 or so. Ok, it seems expensive, but for me the neatness of the solution outways the cost, and I'd think if you tried really hard you could use that rational explanation for your situation too wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I'd think if you tried really hard you could use that rational explanation for your situation too wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got no problem with your explanation, in fact I don't need one, but my wife has a bit of a blind spot when it comes to gadgets and I'm not sure she'll be convinced of the merits of this when we're saving to move house.

Tssch, women eh

rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Recently purchased a Phatbox from Mikan Motors but can't get it working. Have emailed the support desk @ Phatnoise but wondered if anyone has any ideas? This is what I said:

“My wife's VW Lupo TDI Sport (2000 model year) is fitted with a VW MCD (non TMC) unit which includes Sat Nav. Phatnoise recently installed but the headunit fails to access the box (pressing the CD button brings up a "No Audio CD Inserted Message"). The Phatbox was imported from the States. I've formatted the DMS cartridge & up-dated the Phatnoise firmware to the latest release, sadly to no avail. The headunit recognises both a CD changer & a Kenwood Phatbox & as such I feel that this can be eliminated as the problem. Also I've tried different changer leads, again without success.”

Any thoughts guys?

I'm not sure she'll be convinced of the merits of this when we're saving to move house.

I know your position, I've been told in no uncertain terms that after we buy our first place and after Sarah has her Smart Roadster then I am allowed my Mk5 Golf GTi with all the toys.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I may already be helping Jon via e-mail...

...if it's the same Jon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John, sure is... Phatnoise was sent back to Mikan yesterday for repair/replacement.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• 1 month later...
John, sure is... Phatnoise was sent back to Mikan yesterday for repair/replacement.

I'll let you know how I get on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Phatnoise returned from Mikan & now up & running. Well impressed & works really well with the MCD Satnav unit.

A big thank you to Bossjohnc for all his help smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Ps - please see new post in tuning section!

Fantastic news! And yes, it's a great little setup - I'm feeling slightly regretful after selling my MCD and ripping my dash to bits in order to fit a glovebox...

I have an MFD on the way though - it's stuck in customs at the moment, but as soon as it arrives I'll fix everything.

Fantastic news! And yes, it's a great little setup - I'm feeling slightly regretful after selling my MCD and ripping my dash to bits in order to fit a glovebox...

I have an MFD on the way though - it's stuck in customs at the moment, but as soon as it arrives I'll fix everything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John, keep me posted on the MFD. You never know...... innocent.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":innocent:" border="0" alt="innocent.gif" />