2001 SDI alarm sounding after battery reconnect

CheekyLupo

Wonder if you guys can help. Have a Lupo SDI 2001, and hadn't driven the old gal for a few months until Xmas, had been sitting on drive unused, so battery obviously flat. Jump started it from Dad's Polo (all good), drove for 20 minutes then the alarm went off and wouldn't stop. Bit embarrassing, glad it was in middle of nowhere in Surrey...

Anyway, I am now abroad for a few more months and car is laid up at friend's in UK for winter. Will obviously have to jump it again in the spring - just wondered how I can deal with this alarm issue, as it will probably happen again, I'm guessing? Is there a reset procedure?

Not sure what kind of alarm it is, but 99% sure it's factory fit as car hasn't been modified at all. FYI alarm cut out when we disconnected battery. I'm not really technically minded, so Noddy instructions much appreciated. Be great if anyone could help! Cheers...Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Surely someone can help with this problem? Not that unusual to remove the battery, or disconnect it. Alarm in bay looks similar to one I used to have on a Mark 3 Golf. Can I just disconnect the alarm module, or will this cause further problems? Just want to reset the thing really, and don't imagine it can be that complicated.

To be honest it sounds like an aftermarket alarm. I've never disconnected a battery on a completely standard car and had the alarm go off, its only been with aftermarket alarms I've seen this.

However have you tried to lock and unlock the doors after connecting the battery?

Hi mate. Thanks for your reply. Well, I guess drivers door was unlocked without electrics to give it the jump start, to unhook bonnet etc. After that I think I just opened passenger door from inside (obviously central locking worked once engine running) to let wife in and we drove off. Then when I parked it up again I central locked and held the key in position to try and stop the alarm. Didn't work.

Wish I could send photo of the siren under the bonnet, but am abroad at the moment. You are probably right but (little though I know about cars!) I doubt it's an aftermarket system. As a pedestrian SDI with a low mileage the car looks like its being used to tootle to the local shops in, and there's no sign of any other mods to it at all.

At the very least - and without further alarm info - do you know of anything I could to simply disable the thing? Would simply pulling out the connecting wire from the alarm (this worked with an old Mk3 Golf) do the trick, or could I end up immobilising my old gal and creating further probs? Cheers. Ben