Drivers window lights up but doesnt work........

Hi Guys,

I know this is a common fault with the lupo's but My lupo window buttons light up when the lights on but the drivers doesnt work. It clicks but nothing happens, from reading a few other posts Im guessing the motors packed up....

Is there a walk through guide on how to remove the door card and replace the motor?!?

Cheers,

Ollie

I had exactly the same thing. My switches lit up and clicked when pressed but there was no sign of movement of the window (even if I tried to assist it with my hands) or any noise from the motor. I've just fixed it today though! No replacement parts were required! It's well worth trying before you buy any parts. Some kind person posted up this step by step guide which you could print off. It took me a long time to fix (fiddly) but was pretty straightforward. You do need to buy some Silicone Lubricant Spray and Lithium Grease Spray (Halfords sell them) to do it though. Also, the original grey foam inside the door has to be pretty much ruined to gain access to the parts, so ideally it should be replaced with some plastic sheeting stuck on with silicone.

To do the job you will need to :

1/ remove door top trim by prising of the interior handle cover using a flat bladed screwdriver inserted at the small gap at the bottom of the handle cover. Then remove the two crosshead screws. Carefully pull the trim panel away from the door. Some of the plastic clips may break. Release the door lock cable and unplug the wiring for the warning light (on driver’s side). Tear off the grey interior waterproof cover. These are no longer available from VW so can be replaced with a sheet of plastic stuck on with silicone. Unplug the wiring for the electric window switch and door lock.

2/ remove lower door panel by undoing the 4 screws at the bottom of the panel and carefully pull away by pulling out at the sides and then lifting up to clear the top fixings. Remove grey interior cover as above

3/ undo the 10mm bolts holding the motor in place (2-3). Undo the 10 mm bolts at the bottom and top of the regulator arms (2 for each arm). Note one of these has a spacer that may fall into the bottom of the door.

4/ Take a 10mm spanner and reach up inside the door and loosen the bolts on the clamps holding the bottom of the glass. This is very awkward. I managed to pull the regulator arms (and window itself) down a centimetre or two which allowed slightly easier access. On the left clamp bolt I could even get a mini ratchet and socket on it, which helped.

5/ Place a piece of cloth on the top of the door and then putting strong duck tape from one side of the glass, over the top of the door (and cloth) and stick onto the other side of the glass. Use at least 2 pieces of tape. This is to stop the glass falling and breaking once motor has been removed.

6/ The regulator arm can be gently pulled down and towards each other. With some gentle manipulation this will allow for the clamps to come away from the glass, leaving the glass in place - held by the duck tape

7/ Everything is now free except for the wiring to the actual motor. It is possible to remove this connector without removing the door speaker but just not worth the effort. Use an electric drill on the 4 rivets holding the speaker, unplug and move out of the way. The multi plug connector is used for cars that have the one touch up and down option. A two pin connector is used for those cars that do not have this feature. The connector is held in place by a plastic clip that needs to be pressed to release.

8/ Now everything should be released and the motor, complete with regulator, can be eased out of the space at the bottom of the door.

9/ Place the complete unit onto a clean surface. The motor has a metal fixing bracket on one side. Place with the other side up and remove the 5 crosshead screws from the plastic cover. Gently ease off the plastic cover but do not fully remove. Inside you will see the metal cable wound around a plastic spindle. Spray plenty of grease into this area. I used a spray lithium grease from Halfords. Refit cover and tighten

10 / spray all of the wheels around the regulator and spray into the area where the cables enter the spindle area mentioned above. Also spray the metal frame of the regulator where the glass clamps slide up and down.

11/ Carefully plug the wiring loom into the motor and plug the wiring back into the window switch. Switch on the ignition and try the switch to ensure that the motor now moves the regulator. Switch off the ignition and remove the wiring connector.

12/ refit the regulator and motor. Refit the bolts remembering the spacer. Reconnect the switch. Switch on ignition again and move the regulator to half open position.

13/ Now carefully remove the duck tape from the glass and lower the glass gently into the clamps. With the window in the half open position you can then easily retighten the clamps.

14/ Use the button to lower the window completely. Now spray silicone lubricant (also available from Halfords) on the 3 surfaces of the window opening to ensure that the glass does not stick against the door felts when in the closed position.

15/ Refit your speaker with a rivet gun or other suitable fixings. Refit door cards and job is done!

Edited by Lupo-dreams

Well I did a bit on Saturday (about 3 hours) then gave up by part 4, thinking it was bloody impossible to undo the clamp bolts...then started again with a better attitude today and managed to get it all finished off in about 2 hours. So for me it took a quite leisurely 5 hours, being as careful as I could. It's just a fiddly going on and it pays to have smaller hands like me (I'm a laaaady), for part 4 especially. Good luck with it, nothing to lose, as the worse case scenario is the greasing doesn't work and you're looking at a dead motor or whatever, in which case you have it all removed ready for replacement later on. Although the window whould need to be jammed shut with something in the meantime.

Edited by Lupo-dreams

Well I did a bit on Saturday (about 3 hours) then gave up by part 4, thinking it was bloody impossible to undo the clamp bolts...then started again with a better attitude today and managed to get it all finished off in about 2 hours. So for me it took a quite leisurely 5 hours, being as careful as I could. It's just a fiddly going on and it pays to have smaller hands like me (I'm a laaaady), for part 4 especially. Good luck with it, nothing to lose, as the worse case scenario is the greasing doesn't work and you're looking at a dead motor or whatever, in which case you have it all removed ready for replacement later on. Although the window whould need to be jammed shut with something in the meantime.

Spot on, I will wait till next Saturday and get up early.

Cheers for all your help mate :)