Gearbox oil refill.

alecvincent123

Is there any Difference in Gear box oil for different engine types? E.G would the oil Mr moley used in the How to be good for my SDI box?

Gearbox oil depend on type of gearbox not engine.

The best for our gearbox is OEM oil G50.

If you prefer other brand, than the standard is SAE 75W90 GL4. The quantity required is 2,7 litres.

I tried with Liqui Moly and it wasn't good (too viscous at cold temperature, too fluid at hot temperature ), so I replaced it with OEM.

I think is not necesary to replace it if you haven't a seriously reason.

Gearbox oil depend on type of gearbox not engine.

The best for our gearbox is OEM oil G50.

If you prefer other brand, than the standard is SAE 75W90 GL4. The quantity required is 2,7 litres.

I tried with Liqui Moly and it wasn't good (too viscous at cold temperature, too fluid at hot temperature ), so I replaced it with OEM.

I think is not necesary to replace it if you haven't a seriously reason.

Its done 75k and never been done, I've seen cars on here break gearboxes at <40k, and its usually down to bearings which would suggest to me Oil changes would prevent this. any prices on the G50 for 2.7L? (how much did you pay) im not too worried, but id like some piece of mind

There are many causes for which a gearbox can be break but I'm sure that the oil doesn't cause this (of corse if the oil level is correct and it is still OEM). I never saw in any formal documentation that the gearbox oil must be replace, only check and top up if it is necesary

oilcheck.jpg

It is possible that the gearbox lose some oil through selector shaft seal

sdi4202.jpg

You have check this. It is not a problem if it is only moistned but it can be if it forms drops or remain some spots below the car.

I bought G50 from VW seller because it was the cheapest. At any other stores (in Romania) the prices for OEM parts are more expensive

The prices for 1L is about 17Euro and because my car is older than 5 years VW offer me a discount so the final price was 15 Euro.

I hope these information will be useful for you.

P.S.

Sorry for my English because I'm beginner in this language studying.