Black specks on rear of sport.

1.4Josh

I appear to have black specks of oil on the rear of my Lupo sport, I took it to a garage and had the valve guides + stem seals replaced but it still seems to be burning quite an excessive amount of oil. About 1L every 400 miles :| it doesn't appear to be smoking at all so can anyone give me any ideas on what it could be? Thanks, Josh.

as it is no longer smoking, is it just oil that was sat in the exhaust?

Not being familiar with how much oil these engines use, how excessive is 250ml/100 miles?

You say that the bottom end was checked by means of a compression test, and came back as ok. There are a few things I would check as a starter for 10, firstly is the breather clear - if it is blocked this can force oil past the rings due to crankcase presurisation.

secondly, whip the plugs out - are they of a uniform colour, if the business end of one or more is covered with oil, then there is your sign...

Reason for edit - re-read the oil consumption level quoted

Edited by durb

Ok cheers mate I'll check soon, what if the plugs are a uniform colour what would this suggest??

That would be good - its more a tool to see if you have a problem with 1 cylinder - if one of them is different to the rest then it would give you a good pointer. I should also mention that you should do this after the car has had a decent run, and then allowed to cool - if you start the car from cold then the extra fuel for the cold start can mask things...

It was smoking worse before the work had been done. I'm just wondering could it be anything else? Other than the piston rings?? My mechanic has suggested there are some 'oil' rings located just after the piston rings that could be worn and letting the oil seap through..??

Both mine and my brothers sport both used to kick black specks onto the rear of the car. Just presumed this was normal.

The sports are known to use alot of oil though!

Oh and one was on 100k and mine only on 67k.

Edited by ministig

I'm not a motor factors so I don't know these amounts of the top of my head.

Nor do I wish to sit and look them up for you.

I will offer advice and sarcasm if it's deserved though.

Remember, most importantly, Rich for CL member of the year 2011.