Arosa tdi miss-fire?

My tdi has got an intermitant miss-fire. I do 40 miles a day and it might only do it 4 or 5 times for about 5-10 seconds. Seems to be more likely when going up hill. Tried filling the tank and have fitted a new fuel filter. Have had a code reader on it and it threw up no errors. Anyone any ideas of what to try next?

thanks in advance.

Now more or less does it constantly. Thankfully got a code of 18074. Been doing some diggin and it seems it is either injector on cylinder 1 or the wiring loom to the injectors (the bit inside the head). Anyone else had similar issues or been able to establish which part was at fault?

• 5 weeks later...

My tdi has started this recently.

Started off as a small intermittent misfire then dropped a cylinder a few weeks ago, turned it off for a minute or so then it ran fine for the remainder of that journey.

Every now and then it's hesitant and hunts around usually while feathering the throttle due to traffic.

Today though pretty much as soon as I switched it on it dropped a cylinder. Regardless of switching it off for a little while. So my journey home was crappy? 27mpg too for 15 miles.

No error codes on my scangauge either. I'll check out the connectors at the weekend when I get a chance. Checked out things when I got home but it was fine! Annoying.

Anyway I'll try what's been said here so far.

Pete.

I had the same problem on my tdi. It was the injector loom in the rocker cover, basicly the cables get brittle after 100k and loose contact.

Part was under £50 from vw and took half hour to fit.

I found in plunging the plug at the right hand side, undoing the two bolts holding the connector block in and giving it a twist and wiggle would work for a while. I also cleaned the injector loom but it only lasted 1k miles.

Ah well mines close to 95k so might explain the problems.

Will have a look though where the plug plugs in as this morning it suffered with 2 cylinders and I unplugged and plugged in the connector on the side of the block and it was fine.

Source of problem might be in sight.

• 11 months later...

Mine has just started the same issue. Drive for about 20 minutes, car warms up. Starts juddering.

I see from a bit of reading here and there that its 99.99% the injector wiring loom. Is it hard to change? Any issues? Should I change anything else while I'm doing this?

Please advise.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't change anything else to be honest. Mine has started doing it again. I might have to look at changing the loom this time. It's managed to run just over a year with no other problems but I have been playing around with the wiring on the righthand side of the bloke recently due to a starter issue and a problem with the the revesing light sensor, so maybe I've disturbed something with the external wiring? A job for this weekend!