GTI Performance

OK, one for the AVY boffins, how exactly does it work?? It grates on me a bit how people seem to say how their GTI's are like pocket rockets, because I don't think mine is, it's nippy but not rapid, but then I thought maybe it's how you drive them, do they pull better the more you rag them, mine seems to pick up momentum the more you cane the gears, is that how it's supposed to be?

I don't drive mine hard, at all. I very rarely go above 4k, is this where I'm going wrong? Do you have to give them death for them to fly, kinda like with VTEC?

Ok, so I have to give it full beans in each gear to get it to shift like everyone raves about, good to know! Thought it was just my car under performing, but it's just my right foot and general sense of care for the car.

Its a nippy rather than a rapid car, It is surprising how much speed you can carry though. Once warm, i always use the full range of revs, the last 1500rpm is where it is at,

That's why I never bothered with a CTR though, I don't wanna have to ring it's neck to get some decent speed out of it, that's why I miss boost I guess, feel it start to build up around 2k and it just keeps pulling, then when you switch up a gear for that split second it chucks you forward then pins you back in your seat as the turbo is already spooled up for the next gear.

Don't start with that, I'm sure someone in the near future will ask about that bright idea now with the cost of fuel etc!

I'd love a 1.9tdi conversion, although it would ruin the handling a tad

I don't drive mine hard, at all. I very rarely go above 4k, is this where I'm going wrong? Do you have to give them death for them to fly, kinda like with VTEC?

It makes about 75bhp at 4000rpm, 100 at 5500rpm and 125 at 6200rpm.

Its the same with any small NA engine, use all of the revs

Is there any way to bring the max bhp down to a more frequently used torque band tho? I thought that was the whole point of VVT, to squeeze as much power out no matter what revs you have.

Is there any way to bring the max bhp down to a more frequently used torque band tho? I thought that was the whole point of VVT, to squeeze as much power out no matter what revs you have.

VVT doesn't kick in till the top end though does it?