GPRS Tracker?

HalfOfZero

Seen this advertised, heard a few people talking about it..

http://www.freshuk-auto.com/#/gprs-trackers/4557822674

Just wondering, has anyone used trackers like this? Any experiences or dealings with insurance companies?

See, my insurance is pretty high because it's my first years driving, so I was considering getting one if it'll put my insurance down more than the cost of the item? Got a 1L so rarely, sorry, never ( :innocent:), do I go above speed limits, so I guess worrying about that wouldn't be an issue?

Thank you :D

I said that my car had a tracker to check out a quote and it never made a difference for me.

I've been told Admiral, Elephant and someone else certainly lower it, and I'm with Elephant.. Also, like I said, my insurance is so high Im sure it should make some form of a difference. I spoken to someone today while I was at work, he had one on his last car and it put it down £200..

Darren Gough (england cricketer) was talking about insurance on TalkSport and he had a gps tracker fitted to his 17 year old sons brand new £8000 Polo and it lowered the insurance from £5000 to £3000 per year. For his insurance policy he isn't allowed to drive the car between 11pm and 5am and if he does the tracker issues a fine to his insurance company and they can potentially void the insurance. It's a great idea for young drivers as insurance is a total piss take!

No no, that's different. That's the insurance policy that dictates that you MUST have one of their boxes installed. This is just a safety feature fitted by choice. Insurance company wouldn't have access to realtime data, although I'm sure they'd be more than eager to have some data in the event of a crash etc lol

But if you were to fit one of those types of tracker it would greatly reduce your premium which means you won't get raped on insurance for your 1 litre.

Your right, it does. Insurethebox is the cheapest out the lot. Except, they restrict to 6000miles a year (excluding bonus miles).

Wasn't gonna mention anything, but here we go.

I did look at the above mentioned company. They wanted £1600, restricted to about 6k miles a year. I've done more in 6 months. Also, they charged £100 per night that you drive past your "curfew". Only allowed on the road between 6am and 11pm. There's been more than a handful of times where I've been out past that. So that would have added right up.

Take all of the above into consideration, and you'll probs agree, that getting typical insurance for £1800 was the LOGICAL thing to do.

Also, I phoned my insurance company the other day. By adding that tracker (Or any tracker for that matter), my premium goes UP £97!!!!! The girl said though that that is "Unjustifyable" and they would "waive it". However, by adding it I would still incur a mandatory £17 admin fee for changing/adding something to my policy.I was told aswell though that if I was to add this, I should do it at renewal time and it'll put down the premium.

So yeah.

Go figure.

Crazy stuff indeed.

I recently got a quote for a 08 plate R32 & it was £50 less than the Lupo !!

But I guess I'm am old so it makes a difference too

We've all had to suffer sky high premiums, its one of the few advantages of getting older though, your premium comes down. Unfortunately if you want to drive you're going to have to shop around for the best deal and bite the bullet or just don't drive at all and save your pennies up.