What is a lupo 3L?

IVIr Lupo

1.2 TDi powerplant, different front for aero dynamics, originally a different profile mag alloy boot lid, some alloy panels and lots of other weight saving 'stuff'.

rear.jpeg

...and a bunch of other stuff. Check here...

Sorry cant put a link to it as I'm doing it on my phone. Just type in to eBay Lupo TDI or in to Autotrader - it's a dealer who has it!

The Lupo 3L was a special-edition made with the intent of being the world's first car in series production consuming as little as 3 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (78 miles per US gallon or 94 miles per Imperial gallon

Why not check out the thread on this very forum. Link.

That should give you a good overview.

Also, I would treat that 3L for sale in the UK with caution. I have no idea the full extent of the complications of running an Austrian registered car in the UK, or confirming the history of it.

I do know that there are procedures and paperwork to be done to export a car from Germany to the UK. Insurance is the main issue, as it is very difficult to get UK insurance until the car is registered, but you cannot register the car without insurance. IIRC it is due to the stupid rules on taxing a vehicle.

When you do get UK insurance it is loaded due to the car being LHD, therefore deemed to be higher risk.

I don't know how you could insure it while on Austrian plates, apart from getting Austrian insurance.

I know LHD is less desirable in the UK, but It seems too cheap to be a good one IMHO. But a tad expensive for spares.

There's a guy in here has, or maybe had, a 3L. I spoke to at him E38 a couple of years back and he went and picked his up from Germany and drove it back.

I remember him saying it was pretty easy and painless.

Apologies: I can't remember his name.

Why not check out the thread on this very forum. Link.

That should give you a good overview.

Also, I would treat that 3L for sale in the UK with caution. I have no idea the full extent of the complications of running an Austrian registered car in the UK, or confirming the history of it.

I do know that there are procedures and paperwork to be done to export a car from Germany to the UK. Insurance is the main issue, as it is very difficult to get UK insurance until the car is registered, but you cannot register the car without insurance. IIRC it is due to the stupid rules on taxing a vehicle.

When you do get UK insurance it is loaded due to the car being LHD, therefore deemed to be higher risk.

I don't know how you could insure it while on Austrian plates, apart from getting Austrian insurance.

I know LHD is less desirable in the UK, but It seems too cheap to be a good one IMHO. But a tad expensive for spares.

You can register the car without insurance but you cannot drive it before insuring it. You need to make any necessary changes to the car before registering and have the paperwork to prove it. If you are importing one from Germany you will need a temporary plate to do so which includes temporary insurance. The seller will have to arrange this.

You can now insure a 3L online thanks to myself getting it on the database. It's not expensive to insure.

RAB

I was informed by the DVLA that the car needed to be taxed during registration, therefore needs to be insured.

It used to be possible to insure the car on the chassis number, but it is now proving difficult to find a company to do this.

The insurance database is annoying flawed, the last time I checked, as you can only insure a 3L from 2002 onwards. Almost all insurance companies therefore refuse to believe that a pre-2002 Lupo 3L exists. For a 2001 car one you have to be friendly with an insurance broker, who has to manually adjust this to get insurance each year.