3D CAD Modelling

MikeW

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found some rendering tools today. Also tried to do a rough body shape, but i personally think it looks more like the new mini :P Excuse the 'boxness' of it all, i still havn't mastered the freeform tool...

RenderCH.jpg

RenderLupo.jpg

Renderlupobuild.jpg

Still loads to do on the body, as you can see.

Mike.

Edited by MikeW

Well...at the moment its still like the last picture, i wont be able to do any more work to it until im back after the Christmas break, i dont have the programme on my computer :( Ha thanks for the support as well mate :)

• 3 weeks later...

3 spoke anyone? :P Just a little something i made today. It took me all of 1 minute, but it's one of my coolest designs i think. The second design has a chamfered edge which i think looks cool :) Sorta like the 3 spoke Rotiforms...

3SPOKEFTW.jpg

3SPOKEFTWW.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Its looking alright.

However you arent making life easy for yourself modeling a car in solidworks. There's a reason why cars are surfaced in Alias (automotive standard) as you cant get full control of the surfaces using solid modelling packages like what you are using now. I'd hate to try and get curviture continuity out of it, luckily the lupo isnt a very complex shape. When ever i use it its strictly for hacking out quick SLA models using imported Alias data.

Im looking forward to seeing your finished article though.

As for rendering, best bet is to use something like Bunkspeed or Showcase (unless you know how to render properlly applying textures, lighting etc) as you import the model and then litterally pick pre set materials, finishes and backgrounds. Its fast and easy to use. If you are feeling adventurous however then get yourself onto Maya or 3d studio max and use Vray ora program called Modo has a very powerful rendering capability.

John

***Edit***

Having said all that quickly made a stretched tyre on a rim.

Still not convinced though,lol

tyre.jpg

Edited by JohnBridgedesign

Hi John,

Just want to start off saying i have followed the link to your portfolio and it is extremelly impressive, hopefully one day i will be able to produce work to that standard :)

I would like to branch into different CAD programmes such as the ones you have mentioned, however for the purposes of my uni course, we are limited to SolidWorks. I've only recently started 3D modelling hence my work is not at a very high standard, however as this is something i would like to persue a career in i'm sure i will move onto better CAD software. I can relate to what you said that solid works isnt very good for making cars ! It's very difficult to get flowing lines, it is also very difficult to use the free form surface tool. lol

The Lupo i have been making isn't an actual project, i've just been trying to make it everytime i get a spare moment in class, which is why not much has happened on it lately lol... As for the rendering i just use the SolidWorks own Photoview 360 render tool. That is all that is supplied on the colleges computers :P

Thanks, Mike

cheers Mike, its alot of old stuff on there and all of my latest i haven't had time to finish due to work.

If you want to start using other CAD packages then get yourself onto http://students.autodesk.com/ and get the student licences (free as you are in education)

They have alot of packages on there depending on what you would like to do. I used Alias automotive and Showcase as i was doing Automotive design. i dont know what course or area of interest you have but im sure if you want to learn surface modelling then there will be something for you.

Plenty of tutorials on that site or if you simply need a hand let me know as im sure i could help.

You seem to have got to grips with CAD so im sure you will progress nicely with practice.

If you want to start using other CAD packages then get yourself onto http://students.autodesk.com/ and get the student licences (free as you are in education)

I raped that site when I was in Uni - got myself Maya, 3DS Max 2011/12, Mudbox, Alias Auto, and Showcase.

Only ever use 3DS Max 2012 anyway but, its still fun to rape free software.

cheers Mike, its alot of old stuff on there and all of my latest i haven't had time to finish due to work.

They have alot of packages on there depending on what you would like to do. I used Alias automotive and Showcase as i was doing Automotive design. i dont know what course or area of interest you have but im sure if you want to learn surface modelling then there will be something for you.

Plenty of tutorials on that site or if you simply need a hand let me know as im sure i could help.

You seem to have got to grips with CAD so im sure you will progress nicely with practice.

Thanks for the help John, mite have to give it a go ;)

Having seen DarkStryder's work, i may well start off with 3DS Max for car modelling, then work my way through the others to find the best one for me!

Mike

Thanks for the help John, mite have to give it a go ;)

Having seen DarkStryder's work, i may well start off with 3DS Max for car modelling, then work my way through the others to find the best one for me!

Mike

Sounds like a good plan, there are lots of tutorials out there to help you learn.

No major company in the car industry models using 3d max but i do believe it is mostly used in the entertainment industry and animation. (dont quote me on where its actually used though :thumbsup:)

Some serious work on here. How long did it take you guys to get used to that program?

Took me half a day to learn Solidworks. Purely because i have a lot of experience in Pro Engineer (solid modelling) which is a lot more complicated and harder to use. i don't really like either of those programs though (use them for prototyping at work) and i prefer to model in Alias which takes years to learn to get up to a standard that you can send models off for production.

Some serious work on here. How long did it take you guys to get used to that program?

SolidWorks is pretty easy to use once you understand what the most important elements to it are. As i had no previous CAD experience, it took quite a few hours to get used to and im still learning... There is a lot more to it than just making 3D models though. Things such as FEA and CFD...

SolidWorks is pretty easy to use once you understand what the most important elements to it are. As i had no previous CAD experience, it took quite a few hours to get used to and im still learning... There is a lot more to it than just making 3D models though. Things such as FEA and CFD...

I don't have to worry about either. i don't work with the flow of liquid and i don't have to stress test designs. that's the job of the engineers. Should the need ever arise to then i would do it in Pro Engineer as on the whole it is a lot more accurate than Solidworks in most ways for Engineering purposes.

I don't ever want the need to arise however as I'm a designer and cant be doing an engineers job as well.

What are you studying by the way Mike?

No major company in the car industry models using 3d max but i do believe it is mostly used in the entertainment industry and animation. (dont quote me on where its actually used though :thumbsup:)

Erm... Where I work now, Burrows CGI, we use from 3DS Max 09 to 11, as well as Rhino 4 and Maya 11, and our biggest client is Ford of Europe and North America, all the brochures in showrooms, and pre release shots are done by Burrows.

But it's all CAD data, companies never model a car from scratch.

So don't give up on 3DS Max lol.

Erm... Where I work now, Burrows CGI, we use from 3DS Max 09 to 11, as well as Rhino 4 and Maya 11, and our biggest client is Ford of Europe and North America, all the brochures in showrooms, and pre release shots are done by Burrows.

But it's all CAD data, companies never model a car from scratch.

So don't give up on 3DS Max lol.

Unfortunately you will never see a model provided in either Max or Maya being used to produce A Class surfaces that all major car companies use for concept and production models.

All concepts set for prototyping or production are taken from raw alias files/models (models that are built in house from scratch) then they are sent to a team who work on A class surfacing (lining up all cv's individually; literally thousands of them) once this is done then they may then be sent to out sourced companies to be solid modeled so tooling can begin.

I know this because i used to work at Aston Martin and have a lot of close connections within Jaguar/Land Rover, Bentley and Rolls Royce where designs were in fact modeled from scratch.

Often things such as brochures, pre release shots, animations etc will be outsourced as there isn't enough time in most cases to do things for these and can require a different skill set (such as what you do DarkStryder360)

Suppose my main point is;

What do you want to get out of the CAD modeling and ultimately what job do you want to do at the end of it all :)

Horses for courses and all of that!

Edited by JohnBridgedesign

• 2 weeks later...