3D CAD Modelling

MikeW

Hi CL,

I know this is the Photoshopping section, but i've seen DarkStryder360 display his 3D designs in here.

I've been using the SolidWorks 3D Modelling software alot recently as part of my Uni course. Although i've been making a range of different things, i really enjoy making alloy wheels. Here are some of the designs i have make this year so far. (Made loads more last year but the college system was renewed, and all of the work was erased). Not claiming to have made up the designs, as most are inspired by already existant wheels.

First one i made, Based on some BBS, centrecap was made seperately and mated to the wheel component.

SWALLOY5.png

Like the initial front design of this, however the cross section is a bit poor.

SWALLOY4.png

Loosely based this on the previous design, however made it a better shape. Made today.

SWALLOY3.png

Also made today. 5 spoke ftw.

SWALLOY2.png

SWALLOY1.png

If anyone else on here has used this programme before and has some cool designs of anything, post up a pic! Comments welcomed.

Mike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah nice, never had any experience with that one though. Lol I really am hooked on it now!

And they do come in 4x100 too, 15" by 7j :thumbsup: Not too sure which ones i'd run though, kinda like the 3rd ones. 2nd ones as well but the side is wrong.

Awesome to see some more 3D modelling on here!

Yeah, not quite up to your standard yet :unsure: But i'ts something i am really enjoying atm. Finished a BBS CH today, one of my faves... Suppose i should start making other things instead of just alloys haha. Mite attempt to make a car if i get spare time in lessons.

Yeah, not quite up to your standard yet :unsure: But i'ts something i am really enjoying atm. Finished a BBS CH today, one of my faves... Suppose i should start making other things instead of just alloys haha. Mite attempt to make a car if i get spare time in lessons.

Ha man if I tried to use Solidworks I wouldn't know where to start - been using Rhino 4 recently at work and its a pain, all modelling is done via NURBS/splines; is that how you went about your rim models?

Ha man if I tried to use Solidworks I wouldn't know where to start - been using Rhino 4 recently at work and its a pain, all modelling is done via NURBS/splines; is that how you went about your rim models?

Solid works is pretty easy once you know the basic functions, don't use anything that complex lol. I make the rims by selecting a plane (front) then draw a verticle centre line. I then draw a kinda cross sectional view of a wheel and use a special tool that will rotate it around the centreline so i end up with the basic 3D wheel shape. Can then use a load of sketch tools to create the design on the top and then cut/ extrude them. Thats probs the most basic way. I'll get some pics up friday if you want of the BBS CH i did, will show the making too. I'd love to be able to model a car though like you do.

Where do you work with CAD then? I've been wanting to get into that recently

Attempted to start the Lupo project today, this is only a rough idea to see if i could shape the parts in one sketch. However i will make each part individually and assemble them together. I also need to find a proper design blueprint with all the correct measurements of each side. I just shaped this using a standard pic...hence why its not proportional :lol:

SOLIDWORKSLUPO.png

Haha it is an actual 3D model of the front bumper, i just sorta made up the sizes etc so it's a bit out! I will get the blueprints next time im on Solidworks and do it all properly then. Lol it was only when i had finished making that model that i was shown how to grain a surface and pull or shape it in far more detail, so when i make it properly i'll be able to properly shape the bodywork. Looks bloody difficult though! :unsure: