1.7 Tuning

Batesy

Its bloody frugal as it is, my mum has a 1.9gttdi and my dad has a 1.9sdi, my dad gets far better economy and he rags it, my mum probably doesn't even kick the turbo in ;)

you have lost me. the 1.7 SDI is 4 cylinder. The 1.4 TDI is 3 cylinder. the difference from the 1.7SDI engine block and the 1.9 tdi is a shortened piston stroke. 1.9 TDI parts should theoretically fit onto the 1.7 SDI block. infact there heads are probably the same.

thats excatly what i have been sayiny if you read the post how can a 1.7 sdi turned tdi miss a cylinder as previously mentioned in an earlier post?????

i've just removed the 4 air restrictors from my sdi. the dirt i tried to remove fell into the air intakes, and i had to pay £630 for an engine clean and rebuild. the power gain is not noticable. the economy looks down without the air restrictors.

How much bhp do you want out of your sdi? I've got one running at 98bhp at the moment. Now it's really an great daily car (but still no racer).

In Holland someone driven with 190bhp out of his sdi..

Solution = turbo.

IMG-20111022-00087.jpg

Edited by ZX-Rowan

Fuel economy is, i think, better then normal. BUT you're driving a lot faster then you would normally do without the turbo.

The fitting has been done by VVT (van vught tuning) in Holland. He used an 90bhp turbo/manifold/downpipe from an golf mk4. Downpipe had to be welded and the intake manifold was a bit shortened because of the minor space under the hood. And if you want your car to be really low then you should pay attention fitting the oil line so it doesn't hit your drifeshaft.

Bearings are standard, in fact he (VVT) had an 190bhp with standard bearings!

After fitting the turbo and the nozzles? the car is chiptuned.

You can get an SDI Remapped. Also as its a diesel you can lose the CAT as well which should help.

Wish I had an SDI Arosa and not a 1.0 but they seem to really hold their price. Saw a Mk1 Arosa the same as mine but 1.7 SDI for £1700!! Had over 100k on it as well!

You can get an SDI Remapped. Also as its a diesel you can lose the CAT as well which should help.

Wish I had an SDI Arosa and not a 1.0 but they seem to really hold their price. Saw a Mk1 Arosa the same as mine but 1.7 SDI for £1700!! Had over 100k on it as well!

remapping wont really do anything as it's a NA engine

remapping wont really do anything as it's a NA engine

Most people claim 10hp and 25nm of Torque increase, so not to bad. I guess a de-cat and a decent enclosed filter with a cold air feed could release another couple of HP. Guess its quite a bit of money for less than 15hp but it could be done.

I like the turbo idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Acctually I didn't work so much with SDi's. Before I had a 1.4 tdi..

I don't think it's worth the money to get a remap, because you won't get much more torque out of the diesel without a turbo.