Wanting a camera but have no clue really

MrSloanes

Basically in after something fairly small, but with very good quality pictures. I'm wanting to be able to mess about with focus on shots and exposure etc. it's for pics of the car and we also expecting a baby next year so will come in really handy. Not wanting to spend that much really.

Any help/recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Usually pretty hard to mess about with the depth of field on anything with a teeny wee sensor, if that is what you mean by messing about with focus. For that you really need 4/3s, APS-C or bigger.

My Mrs has a Lumix bridge camera which is pretty good overall.

What is your budget?

I used Fuji bridge cameras before moving onto a DSLR. I made the leap as I really wanted to control depth of field like I could on film. The bridge camera was probably more handy though.

You can pick up cheap 2nd hand bargains. The Lumix or the Fuji will let you change your aperture and sensitivity and shutter speed to help you learn. You can get some degree of dof shooting at long focal lengths or in macro mode, but not that noticeable in normal shots.

I hate the Nikon/Canon thing, the Canonistas and Nikonistas are just as bad as the Mactards. It's not about what you own, but how you use it.

Like Rich suggested Sony A series are decent (based on old Minolta system), Pentax and Olympus are also great.

But if you aren't going down the DSLR route you can't really overlook Panasonic or Fuji.

If you're following that, buy a 400D. Cheap to pick up second hand and as a beginner camera it's faultless and you can pick up lenses etc cheap when you decide you need them.

look at pentax too, theyre an old SLR camera brand, who recently bought out a line of great DSLR's. i have a pentax KX, which meets the same spec as the canon 500d (pretty much, some things are better than the canon, and few are worse) but is around £150 cheaper! its a great camera, i'd reccomend it.

If you want to start off with a bridge I'm selling my fuji s9600 with filters and accessories etc. for £150. Was great getting me started, taught me exposure and everything, same features you would get with a full dslr.

http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/gallery/search?keys=S9600&op=++

PM if you're interested.

I shoot with a Sony a33 now and it can do 7fps which only the higher end canon and nikons can do. Great for action shots.

My mate has a Pentax, has some great features but he's having a lot of issues finding lenses, Sony you don't get that problem as most Minolta lenses are compatible and are fairly cheap.

It's all personal preference, myself, I held a canon and didn't like the feel, felt plasticy. Nikons are a bit more substantial and have a bit more to them but then this Sony I bought outdid the Nikon on features. Don't forget, if your going full dslr you need to think about the lenses you'll need. If anything the lenses are more important than the camera itself.