Passat TDI - choices!

jabbles21

I think this is in the right forum..

Right, so now got a years no claims and doing lots of miles for uni-home so I have decided to get an older passat with a TDI engine.

Obviously this means my car will be departing, and hopefully I will sell my car for more than I would pay for a passat? I'm looking at a few around the £1k mark with just over 100,000 miles.

What I want to know from the TDI boffins on here and anyone else with experience is which engines were available when and in what cars, and if there's a particular one I should look for and avoid? I know of the 'PD' engines but I don't know what it means, and I know they were available in the 1.9 version with 90, 110 and 115 bhp. Why is this and should i be aiming for one of them? Obviously I'd like the 115 but they might be more unreliable or whatever..

Any advice and knowledge will be greatly appreciated :) And of course suggestions as to what my other options would be for a reliable long distance cruiser!

Cheers, Jake.

I've had a Passat B5, (and a before).

I've had a few dervs, the cost of servicing and parts on a passat isn't cheap, brakes are expensive and they eat through them. If you get a B5 and the control arms need doing, it'll take a few hours and about £200, if you don't do them yourself even more.

Electrics are dodgy, at the best of times.

Engine wise, They're all good, PD's are better on power and economy, the old AHU engined ones are known to be a bit more reliable.

Service history is a must. If there is none, just walk away. Rust is a bigger issue than you'd think too, particularly the back arches and bottom of doors.

If you're looking to play the Passat game, 1k isn't a great deal for such a large car.

I'd say you'd be better off with a before over a B5, easier to look after but still a bit crap.

What about a Golf ?

wow, thanks for all that Rich. Um, feeling a bit put off though haha.

Yeah I will be sure to check for a service history anyway but i will look out for those other things. I cant really afford to spend more than a grand as the difference in what I sell my car for and what i buy this car for will have to make up the difference in insurance.

R.E. Golfs - it's a thing of principle, never ever liked the MK4 and i'd be a hypocrit if I got one. I presume you meant the mk4?

Cheers, Jake.

Not a big fan of the MK3 and the MK2 may well be the best car in the world but I don't think i could deal with something that old haha. Especially with winter coming up! I think a passat it is, maybe i'll just save a little longer to get a better one? Hm...

Might be worth seeing how many miles you're doing a year and whether it's worth the swap.

Well i've done 12,000 since january and only just started going to uni (adding about 160 miles a week) so i would say it probably is worth the swap? But I haven't done any sums haha.

I did look at a toledo but it was even more to insure for some reason? Jetta - love one but they're way too new. :(

Thanks for the advice! Jake.

Well i've done 12,000 since january and only just started going to uni (adding about 160 miles a week) so i would say it probably is worth the swap? But I haven't done any sums haha.

I did look at a toledo but it was even more to insure for some reason? Jetta - love one but they're way too new. :(

Thanks for the advice! Jake.

hmm, is there any need for a bigger car?

i mean i do this kinda mileage in my sdi and i fill up twice a month!

but i guess a complete new car would be a nice change :)

Thanks for that Jace, real good link :thumbup: much appreciated!

Haha James im not really sure :P it's the combination of wanting more economy and also i've kind of grown out of my car. I've had enough of all these ground-hitting shinanigans! Plus a TDI would be nice, bit of tuning potential ;)

Haha James im not really sure :P it's the combination of wanting more economy and also i've kind of grown out of my car. I've had enough of all these ground-hitting shinanigans! Plus a TDI would be nice, bit of tuning potential ;)

That is true. i do get a bit for stick for driving a N/A Derv.

what kinda Quotes you getting for these passats? assuming this is with 1 year of driving? compared with renewal on the lupo?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201145427061083/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/1000/fuel-type/diesel/make/volkswagen/page/1/radius/60/postcode/ta28as?logcode=p

very low budget to be searching with mate - sad your saying bye to the lupo, but u may have to do a big search to find what your looking for - surely you can get over 1k for your lupo? - the milage isnt that high.

Well i've just renewed the lupos insurance at £1k with 1 years NCB just turned 18, they're asking an extra £300 or so yearly for the passat. Doesn't seem toooo bad i dont think?

And nah i dont fancy an SDI, a TDI is defenitely the next move :) A mk1 TDI though.... that would just be heaven. :P