what's better, a Polo GTI or a Lupo GTI ?

Rich

I know what we all think, but someone's asking on ClubPolo, I'd reply but I'm banned therefore anyone with an account should give some 'unbiased' views.

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=205016

Just to make things a little more even of course. :)

Having a Polo and a Lupo, irrespective of the models, I agree with the practicalities of a Polo.

I too was looking at Polo GTIs at the same time as Lupos and gearbox aside, if I'd found a late "minter" it may well have been 2 Polos sitting on my drive now.

When I bought the Dune, I looked at 9n3 GTIs, but the insurance, tax, and the fact I was told I wasn't allowed to lower it had a big influence.

the only thing that is better on the polo than the lupo is it is about 0.00000001% more practical :P but the lupo is faster, more fun, more stylish and i think has a better personality, the polo is just his fatter brother thats not really as good as him

It was more to do with TSO being embarrassed when entering multi strey car parks and not being able to bump up and down kerbs; rather than age.

Lupo is sitting nice, just the occasional scrape on the back arches or front spoiler and knock of the drive shaft to remind me I'm lowered. Exhaust scraping on access to my drive is a reminder too.

I prefered having a Lupo to a Polo.

Handles better, drives better and the box was so much better, shifts felt better.

That's why I made the Polo a six speed.

6116d7b1.jpg

ive owned a polo 100bhp and lupo 100bhp, i can say the lupo is a hell of a lot better as a car, boot space isnt as much less as most claim

Only having 2 rear seats is fine as u wouldnt want to stuff too many ppol in anyway.

I noticed body roll far more in the lupo, but the coilovers and RARB sorted that. going polo to lupo the first thing i noticed was how short the car looked when u look over your shoulder to reverse.

The other thing the lupo felt it pulled better from lower revs and had more at the top of the revs. - however lupo sits higher in revs than the polo on the motorways.

The lupo was always much nippier and felt far more fun to drive. Having no glovebox is annoying.

Basically polo is a bit better for practicality, but lupo has a nicer rear, where polo has nicer front.

Lupo still has character that the polo never had - the polo was just a car, the lupo is more of a soulmate!

The main thing to notice - 99% of ppol who sell their lupos want another lupo as soon as they sell it cos they miss it. This doesnt happen anywhere near as much with polos.

My dad has an R32 and still finds the lupo more fun on shorter journeys.

...boot space isnt as much less as most claim

I'm afraid my dog disagrees, buth then as said we have a 9n3 Polo and we all know they get bigger with each new model.

Hi i have had a few cars in the past about 3 GOLF mk1 gti's,GOLF conv G60 that was in a few mags back in the day,GOLF mk2 GTI 16V that was in a mag as well,GOLF mk3 vr6 that was in another mag,Then went to the dark side for a bit Ford RS Focus,BMW M3,then few Audis,Lancia integrale evo 2 martini another cover car and i luved that car But now Golf MK5 TDI Gti rep family car and 3 Lupo gti's and a Transporter T5 for work.Out of all the cars i have ever had the Lupo GTI always puts a smile on my face so im going to keep 1 till im an old man thats why 1 of the red ones is in the body shop at the mo having a full respray and mk5 gold boot handle and much more mods cant wait to get it back.

Oh that leaves 2 for sale 1 red Gti £1500 and a black 1 £3500.

Lupowolf, a red gti for £1500..? Tell me more!

On topic, I can't compare.. never had a polo. Technically never had a lupo either, I has an Arosa!

The Arosa seems like the almost forgotten brother.. :(

I've let a few friends have a wee shot. One of them is a veedub guy,loved it. He has a b5 passat, and wants a lupo for its go cart like appeal.. he compared it to a mk1 golf.....

Another friend who's had all sorts over the years, currently has an Audi a4, says almost the same.. almost like a mk1 golf in the sense its tiny and doesn't nwed massive power to make it fun.. but it rolls alot in hard cornering which sucks.. (i want a rear arb.. but ill get one for the next/first Loop I get lol

• 2 weeks later...

I know what we all think, but someone's asking on ClubPolo, I'd reply but I'm banned therefore anyone with an account should give some 'unbiased' views.

http://www.clubpolo....howtopic=205016

Just to make things a little more even of course. :)

how strange... i cant see why you might be banned from any forum... oh well...

Personally the lupo as an unbiased view. they both have their ups and downs, Polo is better for the boot and glove boxes, however the lupo has the fun factor. they get more attention as they are rarer and are quicker. a polo owner will tell you they arent but a mate of mine has one so we tested it and the lupo was quicker. its mainly down to the fact they are lighter and the 6 speed box helps, lupo also handles better due to weight balance (battery in boot and ally wings). The interior is also nicer on a lupo, the dash is almost the same but the lupo gets a black roof liner and doesnt have a silly red "1" in the middle of the seats. Thats the reasons i think the lupo is better. im more of a driver than a economy man tho...

I've owned both. The polo is more practical, but the lupo for whatever unknown reason, just touches your heart.

as a car the polo is better, with the bigger boot with a 12v plug also in the boot, along with climatronic and a lockable glove box.

If it wasnt for the gearbox going bang 'twice' id still have my polo :-(