Flip Key Conversion?

beska133

mikes guides pretty handy, as you'll need to dismantle the keys which can be tricky if you don't know what your doing.

if your going to use your old transponder a good tip is to soak it in nail varnish remover over night, then it'll pop out the old key with no hassle.

flip keys provide something to flick about when you're bored and want others to take the hint.

I just jangle my keys in people's faces to give them a hint, and if they say I'm being rude I make sure my key ring makes contact with their eyeball. Can't stand beating about the bush!

I would prefer to go backwards and change my Dune to a normal key. I hate the flippin thing.

dont blame you, ive had a fair few flip keys and over time the hinge works loose and the key nearly falls out on my dads A2 with 165k miles on it due to the amount of twisting it has done from starting the car lol!

i did the flip key conversion on my arosa, tried and tried the two key method with window down etc. didnt work.

i bought 3 different keys trying to get it to work so in the end

had to go to seat £50 to get it coded all 3 buttons working.

the window method does work, but you have to take the key out of the ignition after, then try clicking the button, i bought two keys before discovering this!

• 3 weeks later...

Just be aware that it will stick out further from the ignition lock than the standard key, puts it nearer to the back of the steering wheel. I did get a flip key sorted, but could never get the remote unlock to work, so tend to use the standard key after all.

• 9 months later...

The part number of the remote plays a strong role on the sucess or failure of this mod.

Does anyone know which exact remote part number is required?

I have brought some 2 button remotes. Got everything working except the RCL.

I'm assuming my car came with RCL as standard, but I think the keys have been replaced at some stage. It has CL.

Not sure if my remotes are too new. The part number for the remote is 1J0 959 753 CT. Do I need to swap out the remotes for 1J0 959 753 N?

Edit: I'm now thinking that I don't have an RCL module in the car. Can anyone advise the easiest method to do this?

Edited by Deako