Mk5 Golf TDI advice

Bikerz

Right

After a mk5 TDI I think. Anything I should know? Worth going for a 2.0TDI over a 1.9 TDI?

Not after speed as its only a daily, just want reliable and and good on fuel,I wont touch a sdi tho)

£5k seems to buy you something half decent with 60k on the clock for a 1.9TDI.

Any advice?

Cheers

Mum had a passat 140 which had the fuel pump issue that injects oil into your engine, they bullet it so fix it when it starts but still dont like the idea of it. I have my eyes on a 170.

How do u spot a 140 from a 170?

Edited by Bikerz

Sam you mad eme Very Jelous! The nice mk5 R32 seats are £1500 ouch!

Don't go for a MK5 manufactured in 2004, according to reports these cars are only NCAP 3 star rated because they catch fire on impact - that's not very well know or advertised by VW! After 2004 there NCAP 5.

Seats are well comfy, supporting and great for long drives.

Im looking at a 56 plater at the min with 66k on the clock 2.0TDI 170bhp model. £7k

thanks for the advice.

Edited by Bikerz

The 2.0 isn't that economical, particularly in the 170hp variants. The 1.9 seems to be bulletproof whereas the 2.0 has a few inherent problems to look out for, particularly in the 140.

Despite that, I'd go for the 2.0 again over the 1.9 purely for the smoother power delivery. I just need to pay for a new turbo as mine has stuck vanes, a not uncommon fault.

Cheers mate. You got me worried when I started reading that (tho have heard about the problems) I read the 2nd sentence and happy again Going to look on Wednesday. Going with cash and if its good Im having it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to just join in, but im looking at a Scirocco 2.0TDI (not for myself, helping a friend) and one thing i noticed was that the 2.0 TDI is a 16V diesel engine. the 1.9TDI is only 8v. Maybe this effects fuel efficiency? and explains more power differences?

Rents had a 2.0 16V Jetta, that thing really shifted for a derv.

Even Kam was impressed.

Now they've got a 1.6 TDI mk6 thing and it's pants, it feels like a petrol, a slow petrol at that, I'm banned from driving it for the abuse I gave it when I drove it out the showroom. Redline ftw.