Gti headlight MOT faliure :-(

Hi guys, hope you are well.

After some advice if poss.

My GTI has just failed the MOT because the headlamp aim is too low. I feared this would happen as they arent even level and pratically pointing at the floor!

I had a search on here and adjusted the headlights using the plastic adjusters till they wont go any further. Unfortuantely the get a little bit higher but not really very much.

Anyone got any ideas, I was thinking of taking the headlight out and apart for investigation.

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Gareth

You normally have to use VCDS to level xenon headlights. The levelling motors need to wind out to align them.

I bought a new set of xenon headlights and had this problem, as the new motors didn't work. I had to take the motors apart and wind them out by hand to get them in range, then used the manual adjusters to fine tune them. So much for self levelling.

Self leveling mech on the rear beam may need to be adjusted (read bent) to give a truer level if you have lowered the car, but yes, VAGcom is the correct way to adjust them.

Thanks for your help guys. I have vagcom (the basic version) but haven't got round to using it. I thought this was the case and can't imagine the mot centre being able to do it.

I also thought about washers too! I'm glad I'm

not the only one with the pikey approach!

Yes on the rear passengers side.

3 bolts (2 on the chassis and 1 on the beam) and a final wire harness to unplug before it can be removed.

The metal "C" link needs to be compressed so that you can see the ball joint just below the metal shield that is attached when it is on the car and not jacked up.

This is easy for me as I have a pit in the garage :)