1.4 TSI Manifold

Heyaxe

Thats gonna be well through the bonnet! The port spacing is 180 degrees out?

Iirc, you can get an eaton charger on it's side and there is about 15mm to the bonnet. That looks alot taller than that, it's unlucky where the boost exit is, by the time you have a tight 90 on that it's gonna be another 50mm higher.

Would be alright if you didn't have a bonnet!

No the diagram is the correct way up, and that is how the turbo should be mounted.

Unfortunately for those with Lupos (all of you), this may not fit. Those fortunate enough with a Polo or Ibiza have a larger engine bay in terms of height and width. This is how the turbo looks when mounted on the engine:

EngineTSI.jpg

Judging by that picture it would be more than do-able.

That boost pipe doesnt necessarily have to go over the top of the head. It could easily be re-routed to the right side of the head.

I don't think the turbo sits as high as everyone is making out.

A TSI 122.gif

Edited by Cooper_GTI

Cooper look at the cam carrier and the front of the head on that engine. No resembalance to the 16v head on ours. The cam carrier on the Tsi sits back on the head, on ours it sits flush. The turbo will hit the cam carrier.

The manifold itself looks odd too, do t think you can unbolt that turbo and fit a different one to it, which would have been an easy fix to the problem

Casper, i assume you are referring to the bottom right corner of the cam cover where the turbo joins the boost pipe, which then runs off to the inlet?

iIsee what you mean and it would definitely be a hurdle to overcome. It may be possible to cut the turbo outlet (the offending part) shorter and on more of an angle, which would enable a short elbow to join to the turbo and potentially avoid the head.

Another way could be to maybe space out the manifold, by means of another exhaust manifold flange acting as a big washer, providing there is enough clearance on the rad/fan.

All very speculative though and nothing can really be confirmed till someone actually tries it.

I'm taking about the turbo itself, in perticular how tight is is to the manifold itself. It sits closer to the block tha the ports for the exhaust. On the Tsi engine that's not a problem because the head is actually stepped forward from the block and cam or rocker cover. On our engine it's totally flush, so your going to be having clearance issues between the turbo and cam carrier.

Looks like the cams in the Tsi are in the head, where ours are in the cam carrier.

Also, the Tsi has a moved oil filter housing, is this to keep the downpipe close to the block?

Don't be fooled with the turbo housing touching the camshafts/camshaft cover on the engine, as there is a gap between the camshafts and the engine cover. The turbo outlet looks to sit above the camshaft case, and only the engine cover is modified slightly for the inlet boost pipe.

TSIHead.jpg

Also, the Tsi has a moved oil filter housing, is this to keep the downpipe close to the block?

The downpipe is slighty away from the block, however its path follows the same as our current manifolds when joining the center section. I believe the filter housing is higher because of the location of the alternator?

Like GTI said, unless someone bolts the damn thing on we can ponder until the cows come home :)

Edited by Heyaxe

I'm not talking about the engine cover! That's the first thing you loose when going FI on this engine.

I'm talking about the cam carrier, part of the engine. The top of the exhaust port on the head of the 16v engine sits flush withthe cam carrier. Iirc there is about 30-40mm from the top of the exhaust port to the top of the head, then the cam carrier sits on top of that, which is again about 40-50mm. So if the turbo sits very close to the engine as it appears to in the photos and pictures then the turbo will hit the engine before the manifold marrys up to the head.

Its hard to say where your coming at. I would say the turbo would not sit as close to the engine as you think it does.

I agree that i also don't think it would be as close as it may first seem and i also dont think there is anything that can't be worked around.

However, if anyone knows about the tight space within the Lupo engine bay then Casper does and i'll respect what he is saying. After all, he has a supercharger mounted in a similar place to where the turbo needs to go!

Check this one out, its from a 1.4tsi in a polo.

Different layout isn't it?

Just trawling through ebay and online, theres different types of manifold/turbo available (turbo on left or turbo on the right), but on the same engine in theory (1,4 16v head port spacing), so mabe there is one that will fit?

Another thing i didnt notice, looks like you can re orientate the turbo on the manifold, if the actuator can stay where it is, if thats the case that will help!

53039880142.jpg

Its odd, because obviously half of the turbo is inside the manifold, if that clamp was at half way mane it would rotate? obviously the actuator can't move, but possible the rest of the compressor housing could?