MOT Massive Emissions Failure!!! Also Sludge in Water

Hi guys,

Have checked through previous posts to check for faults so was after some advice on my emissions problem and another problem I noticed in the water tank?

MOT on car was fine bar the emissions which were miles out!

0.76% instead of 0.30%

299 instead of 200

1.06 instead of 1.03

(don't have sheet with me so think that's it)

Idle passed but all others failed at roughly above.

Car has had a new exhaust including CAT fitted 3 months ago.

Always starts hot or cold, no smoke.

Now also this morning the water light came on so checked the levels and noticed a load of sludge in the water tank tipped a little hot water in to make up to the level and light went out.

The car never over heats always sits in the middle of the gauge. It doesn't lose any oil or water as when topped water up I only put about 100ml in?

The car has been sat for 4 weeks whilst we were on holiday and only ever does a 3 mile run when used, this is the first time it's moved to go for MOT. Does it need a blast up the motorway?

Had water pump done with cam belt about 18 months ago.

Car is in garage at the mo after failure and they have cleaned spark plugs as were crusted and will clean the throttle bodies tomorrow but any info I can throw at them would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sludge and overheating may be down to a dead thermostat, or possibly hg..

Personally would flush out coolebt system and buy a new thermostat which are under a tenner.

Lupos often seem to have oily engines due to the breather so would clean out inlet and throttle body, do an oil change if anywhere near due and run some "forte engine flush" thru the old oil before putting new in

Would recommend sorting the overheating before engine flush as need to idle the car for a bit

how many miles has the car done? what age is it?

Hi there, the car has covered 65,000 and is 2001.

Good service history, and have fixed things as they happen inc. cam belt, water pump, clutch, windows, locks, clutch and so on.

The engine has never missed a beat just everything else! I thought everything was done now this! I'm hoping as it's been sat for a month it just needs a blast up the motorway.

Will flush the water through and replace with clean, same for oil as reccommended above. Clean throttle bodies check breathers etc.

How much is a head gasket at a garage that charges £45 per hour?

Would recommend sorting the overheating before engine flush as need to idle the car for a bit

The car doesn't over heat ever, always runs fine. My missus, never boots it though so do you think the car needs a good thrashing especially after sitting for so long??? (please say yes!)

what colour was the sludge in the coolant bottle?

Hi there, dark brown floating on the top and a little bit creamy around the cap like thousand island dressing! I tipped in hot water out of the kettle about half a mugs worth and the water light went out.

It doesn't appear to have lost any oil in the last year since service it's still at the top of the max line and is see through black in colour.

TBH I didn't check at the time but will def check tomorrow at the garage, they have had it all day and didn't think head gasket, but saying that they were mistified by it!!!

I think I'll stop stewing over it until tomorrow! Can you both keep an eye on this topic tomorrow as I will have an update with more info.

Cheers guys!

if you have mayo under the oil filler cap as well thats a sign that water is in the oil, and the creamy mayo in the coolant bottle is suggesting oil in the water.... get them to do a compression test on each of the cylinders out of intrest

Hi guys,

Car back from garage today and after cleaning throttle bodies, plugs, fuel system flush/clean and blip up the dual carriageway and back car passed MOT!

Carried out compression test, all ok. Head gasket good! Garage said the sludge looks to be the remains of some sort of radiator repair dog turd??? They flushed coolant system and refilled all ok now!!!!

Hope this helps anyone else looking.