VW Lupo Front Wings

tcw6

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and having anything to do with VW's (Not out of choice mind!). My sister has purchased a 2000 Lupo and both the driver's and passenger's side front wings need replacing. I've purchased two used parts but was wondering if anyone could talk me through how to remove the old ones and then attach the new ones.....?

I'm not DIY illiterate but haven't really messed with cars before!

Thanks very much!

Tim

Start by removing the two screws which attach the end of the wing to the front lip of the sill. Once you have these removed take the arch liner out and remove the inner arch bolts. Then you'll need to remove the bonnet scuttle panel as there are some bolts in there. This will mean you'll have to remove your wipers too.

Once you've undone all of those you'll need to remove the grille panel and then undo all of the bolts that run down the side of the bonnet shut.

If anything feels like it's still stuck on then search for more bolts, the ones in the inner arch are difficult to find as they're covered in underseal.

Hope this helps

:)

Hi. Don't know if you have started this yet, but I will let you into my experience on the removal of 3 different occasions.

Firstly Treblet gives some good information, but if its anything like the times I had to do it, here is some further information. Firstly, I removed the arch liner to get access to the torx screws on the inside of the wing and to use both a pin and a sharp pointed knife to get the underseal out of the middle of each screw. The lower one isnt too bad, but to give a view of the higher one, I took the side indicator unit out, and its then easier to see what you are doing.

As Treblet says, to get access to the screw nearest to the bonnet hinge, you have to remove the scuttle panel and that involves removing the wiper arms. Now comes the fun part (not). there are 2 philips screws at the top (painted) and 2 philips screws at the very bottom of the sill. These have underseal on them and then paint. The problems that I had, was that the top 2 refused to budge using a normal philips screwdriver and had to resort to using an "IMPACT DRIVER". This is an item that a bit is put into and then hit with a hammer to assist stubborn screws to turn (but be careful not to slip and hit the windscreen) Attention was then turned to the bottom 2, both of which had the screw heads dug out of underseal. I had to use the impact driver on these as well. Then its best if you score down the sill between the bottom of the wing and the sill as the underseal is very strong, and then from the top, gently prise the wing away from the sealant that is used between the wing and the main body.

• 9 years later...
6 hours ago, Ross Wimhurst said:

Hi buddy they don't do a Haynes Manual for a VW Lupo, I've searched everywhere for one, I'm in the same dilemma as Tim

Correct, try You Tube, but more practically its fiddly rather than difficult, just be systematic and patient 

On 9/15/2011 at 9:11 PM, treblet said:

Start by removing the two screws which attach the end of the wing to the front lip of the sill.

I just drilled the two sill screws off, then drilled completely trough and made holes for new 6mm bolts in the sill, I advice to not spend too much time on these two.

On 9/15/2011 at 9:11 PM, treblet said:

Then you'll need to remove the bonnet scuttle panel as there are some bolts in there. This will mean you'll have to remove your wipers too.

It was possible to unscrew this one without removing any additional parts, but correct way is to remove scuttle panel.

It was hard to unscrew the philips bolts near door hinges, I advice to replace them with hex bolts alterwards.

You should remove front trim, because two plugs are attached to wing, since you need replacement of both wings you will not regret of removing it, otherwise you can break it in the narrowest place - right under the headlight.

lupo.jpg

You should remove front whole bumper to remove the wings, I think slight heating of bumper will help to not make crack in it.

I think this is exactly Lupo wing, except a single bolt near scuttle panel is missing in this picture.

leon-mk1-20345.png

I don't know what workshop manual this is, but there is one for lupo on this page:

https://vwts.ru/vw/lupo/vw-lupo-body-repairs-exterior-eng.pdf

Edited by ObjectiveAway