i-Kube, first time driver.

Jacky Boy

I'm taking my lessons and I have a 1.0l lupo se. I've been trying to get quotes for once I've passed and they all come to around £4000, Third Party Fire & Theft as well. :( My mum and dad have told me I can get insured with i-Kube for £2000, except I can't drive between 11pm-5am. I don't find this too much of a problem because it will work out cheaper in the long run. I was just wondering if anyone knew if they allowed mods?

Had never hear of them, so went to look at site. They have a FAQ, and one of the questions/answers is:

How many and what type of modifications are allowed?

Dependent on insurer, i-kube will allow minor cosmetic changes to your vehicle. However, all modifications need to be referred and must be disclosed.

Took me all of 30s to find. So this cheap scheme needs a GPS tracker fitted to the car and you can't move it more than 100 yards between 11pm and 5am. If you do you need to pay them £100 each time you do.

And what's the odds data can be used agaiant you if you crash, like if you have been doing over the speed limit.

I detest the thought of basically being tracked.

They aren't bothered about how you drive, it's at what times you drive. Ahh I must have not seen the FAQ part. I'll have to see what they will allow. If I was allowed modifications with the ban on driving times that wouldn't be as bad. Yeah I know it's a bit crap but it's half as cheap as some of the cheapest quotes I've had. £2000 for a year, while on provisional and it won't change when I've passed.

aviva multicar, can't go wrong for young drivers. obviously only works if who you live with someone has another car or more, but i'm 17 and paying £1700 on a 1.4s, and aviva are pretty easy going with mods

They aren't bothered about how you drive

Ahem:

"Like all insurers, once you have successfully completed a year's insurance, assuming you've not made a claim, you will be eligible to a No Claims Bonus or No Claims Discount. The discount differs by insurer.

Drive Well. Pay less. Save up to a further 40% off that premium.

At i-kube, we can give you a unique, behavioural based renewal quote, tailor-made just for you. The smart little i-kube box, although it's not used to its full potential in the first year, can allow us to gain an accurate record of your driving.

It can record:

• average speeds on different types of road
  • proportion of time adhering to the speed limits on different types of road
  • has the vehicle been in motion during the red hours, and if so, how often"

And:

Below is our customer promise. It sets out to confirm how any data collected by your i-kube box is used.

• We will only pass your data to police or other civil authorities if required to by Law, or should we suspect it indicates evidence of fraud or attempted fraud.
  • In the event of a claim, we and your insurer may use the data to fully understand the circumstances of a claim and in particular to identify any fraudulent claims including those against you.

Edited by puggled

I will post till I am blue in the face. Hey if I dont pay out and dont have tgo offer you any protection, I will inure you for £1.50!

Dont try Admiral! They are a bunch of ******!

Tryed saying no licence to get out of paying even when did, tryed saying I had points not decleared and I had a clean licence. Paid out eventually 11 months later! Meaning I lost the 11 months tax (Claimed person was commiting fraud so wouldnt release it) and intrest and had to fork out for a car with no cash from insurance company. Not even a sorry after they agreed to pay out!

They deserve all the bad press I can give them!

Edited by Bikerz

Mate, there is no way in hell i'd let antone low jack me or my car!!! thats far to big brother for me!! i'm sure you can find insurance cheaper without the low jack or restrictions! What happens if you get a job that finishes at 11:00pm?

• 2 weeks later...