Machine Polishing? Where can I learn?

nfbr

As many of you will know, Machine polishing being done by an amateur can be a dangerous thing...

If done wrong It can leave Marring, Holograms and all sorts of horrible effects on the paint!

If I wanted to go somewhere to learn more about machine polishing, including a demonstration and 'try it yourself' session... Where would I go to? or where would I look? :)

Answers on a postcard!

Best bet would be to try some of the well respected detailers near you, most will be willing to give you a bit of training I would have thought:

- Miglior Detailing

- Finer Details

- Mirror Finish Auto Detailing

Give some of them a bell. I would be more than happy to teach you but i'm a decent drive away. But if you get stuck you know where I am :)

Thank you for the kind offer. I've recently done my first 'Supercar' detail although I didn't really get enough photos.

The owner is a customer of my workplace and was incredibly impressed with the results I'd got on my own car's paint work. He commissioned me to do his R8 which I spent pretty much 12 hours on doing primarily the paintwork and the wheels.

I'm afraid due to bad lighting and it being dark when I finished I only got one photo which looks any good.

r8clean.jpg

He's since rang me up to tell me how impressed he is and that the car comes up amazingly well each time it's washed! He's now commissioned me to do his Cosworth Range Rover at the end of the month! :)

I'm really quite excited about learning to do machine polishing as I'd like to start doing a bit of paintwork correction for people! Particularly on older cars which I know could come up really well with a bit of effort!

Thank you for the kind offer. I've recently done my first 'Supercar' detail although I didn't really get enough photos.

The owner is a customer of my workplace and was incredibly impressed with the results I'd got on my own car's paint work. He commissioned me to do his R8 which I spent pretty much 12 hours on doing primarily the paintwork and the wheels.

I'm afraid due to bad lighting and it being dark when I finished I only got one photo which looks any good.

r8clean.jpg

He's since rang me up to tell me how impressed he is and that the car comes up amazingly well each time it's washed! He's now commissioned me to do his Cosworth Range Rover at the end of the month! :)

I'm really quite excited about learning to do machine polishing as I'd like to start doing a bit of paintwork correction for people! Particularly on older cars which I know could come up really well with a bit of effort!

Have a long hard think before splashing out on new equipment / committing to a new business (if that's what you're thinking of doing). It's a very difficult service market to break into. I have been doing it full time for a while and I have been competent with a rotary for 5 / 6 years but business is up and down for me.

You will also need to make sure that you have insurance (both Public Liability and Items Worked On).

Also bear in mind that there are loads of good detailers in your area.

And also if you don't have the experience / a wealth of equipment then you could well find yourself stumped on a certain car one day. I know this as it happened to me when I was part time. I started machine polishing a Porsche and the paint was sticky. Did I know what to do at the time? Nope!

Not trying to discourage you i'm just saying think carefully about it :).

Edited by Ashley

Have a long hard think before splashing out on new equipment / committing to a new business (if that's what you're thinking of doing). It's a very difficult service market to break into. I have been doing it full time for a while and I have been competent with a rotary for 5 / 6 years but business is up and down for me.

No, I know exactly where you're coming from with that one! There are a hell of a lot of good detailers in the area, but I'm not really looking into going into detailing full time. More as a hobby and as a way to earn a little extra cash for holidays etc.

This is why I want to learn more about how it's done first. As I'll never be able to afford liability insurance and still make a profit, I want to know the risks involved before deciding whether to invest in the equipment and get some practice in before offering the service to potential clients.

To be honest, I can get a bloody good result by hand but it does pretty much kill me doing so lol.

So you carried out a full detail completely by hand?! Holy pooh pooh! Hats off to you Al! Now come do mine!

Haha... Bring it over then...

I'm a fan of the meguiars videos on YouTube, they have taught me a lot about machine polishing and compunding

Good call... don't actually know why I didn't think of Youtube?

Its really not as hard as everyone thinks.

I find comments like this very amusing . . .

Edited by Ashley