wiring lupo gti headlights to tdi..

tlees

clueless to that mate il have to make sure i get a full years mot before january then! would you be able to give me some advice, apparently there needs to be some wiring fron the lights switch to somewhere under the steering wheel? previous owner had already started this so not a clue how it went, wiring is not my forte!

indicators?

Right, find a thin brown and a thin black/white wire on the passenger side, on your loom they lead to the front indicators, seperate them out and attach them to the ones on the GTI headlight loom.

Same for the other side but replace white/back with green/black.

Tell me when you've done this and the indicators are working.

no mate indicators are working fine, apparently for the headlights to work the wiring needs to be completed at the switch to what looks like somewhere under the steering column, (il check this tomoro) my sidelights are working fine and apparently the wiring at the headlights have been completed. i know im not being very helpful but this is all i know! by the way thankyou for your help so far

The GTI headlights need an extra earth wiring in (to pin 8 of the TDI headlamp socket), and pins 2 & 8 need swapping in the xenon plug.

I've left the indicators in the standard position by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

rich, went to take some pics of the wiring for the headlights but couldnt really make the subtle differences in wires so il just list them instead and hope you know what im talking about!

on the headlights the wiring goes like this

1 white

2 brown

3 thick yellow (seems to be an addition and goes either to an earth or wired into the car, think its earthed though) also similar wire being added and comes from near the steering column and is not attached to anything , not had it apart to fing out exactly where it goes yet)

4 thin yellow

5 brown and blue

6 red and blue

7 thin yellow (like 4)

8 green and yellow

there is also a thin yellow wire coming from the back of the lights switch, again not attached to anything.

the previous headlight connecters at the headlights have been changed to fit the new lights and the sidelights in the headlights work fine im just without the normal beam or high beam. i can however hear the mecanical im guessing flap in the headlights when i flash the high beam stalk?

if you can make sense of the info i could really do with some advice, thanks in advance and for your help so far!

p.s. i also have some pictures if you think they will help?

Best thing you can do is get hold of Elsawin; it has all the wiring diagrams with the wire colours. I can't check my lights as I'm offshore at the moment but all I've done so far is what I wrote above, plus wired the stalk up like an Arosa/Lupo GTI so the dipped doesn't go off when you go onto high beam.

Wait a sec, are you fitting these gti lights and just not having a full beam? or have i read this wrong, casue to my knowledge, TDI's have the same indicator placements as the none gti's..... so you're going to be running blanks or filling the indicators over, and just having the indicators inside the gti lights. and yeah mot failure as they need to be levelling and they need to have the spray washer thing tooo

• 4 years later...

On 9/16/2011 at 6:46 PM, jon_273 said:

Best thing you can do is get hold of Elsawin; it has all the wiring diagrams with the wire colours. I can't check my lights as I'm offshore at the moment but all I've done so far is what I wrote above, plus wired the stalk up like an Arosa/Lupo GTI so the dipped doesn't go off when you go onto high beam.

A bit of a resurrection... but please could someone fill me in on the mod that's carried out the stalk that allows the bulb to stay on when high beam is selected?

MG

There are three wires under the steering column for the headlights and a two-way switch in the stalk. On a non-GTI lupo the supply comes from the headlight switch to the switch in the indicator stalk which you operate to divert the current to either the dipped or high beam circuit. I disconnected the dipped circuit wire and connected it to the supply to the indicator stalk switch, so that the dipped circuit stays powered regardless of the position of the indicator stalk. This allows you to have dipped and high beam circuits powered at the same time (if you had the standard headlights, both filaments would be powered).

What that means, is that if you have installed GTI xenons into a non-GTI, you can use your high beam(i.e. operate the solenoids which control the flap inside the headlight) when your dipped beam (normal headlights) are switched on. What you still won't be able to do is 'flash' people when the headlight switch it turned off. You need to install a relay for that.