Help.. EGR Valve = White Smoke?

Ive got a problem :(

I serviced my Lupo today and removed.....

at6zl.jpg

^^^^^^ That, gave it a wee wipe and put it back on. After 10 minutes of the engine running, the engine management light came on, Got my mate to plug his computer in and it was coming up with EGR Fault. Took the car a run about and couldnt see out my back window for white smoke!

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by Scott_Thomson

Cant describe what it smells of but its definately not an eggy smell, and just gave it a wipe with a wrag. Cleaned out all pipes today to get rid of gunk build up, connected them all back up and has made no difference. Could too much oil cause white smoke ?, just checked oil level there and it is only slightly over the maximum mark. But would that cause the engine management to come on ?

Oh, hmm, if i recall when my tame mechanic replaced my EGR, he said the car smoked something chronic while it cleaned out all the stuff that had built up in the pipes when it hadn't been working. He didn't say what it was though, and it was fine when i went to collect it.

I drained out the excess oil earlier on and the smoke problem seems to have cured :) so far. Erased the egr fault code to put engine management light off and it stayed off for maybe half an hour and came back on. I'll speak nicely to one of the mechanics at work tommorow to have a wee look. Just glad the smoke has cleared, it was my biggest worry!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Scott