Do not take out Rear Adjusters!

Cooper_GTI

The £200 was mainly labour charges. He spent a little over 6 hours in total.

This included an intitial test drive, then a chat to see what i wanted out of the car, then setting the corner weights, front camber, toe and caster on the front, then setting rear camber.

Then another test drive, from both him and me, then got it back on the ramp for a final tweak to correct the lift off oversteer, then another test drive to double check what he'd done, then a 2 year guarantee on the work he carried out.

Check em out. Its centre of gravity in Atherstone. Best £200 i've ever spent!

Did he really adjust the front castor?

I have spoken to that guy in the past, he did a talk at a local car meet and did seem to know what he was doing, yet how he can set up a track car at road speed is beyond me. lol

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he really adjust the front castor?

I have spoken to that guy in the past, he did a talk at a local car meet and did seem to know what he was doing, yet how he can set up a track car at road speed is beyond me. lol

Yes, there was a small amount of adjustment possible in the standard top mounts.

He set mine up for fast road use, so as not to wreck my tyres, so it works in the wet and so it understeers on the limit! Lol

Edited by Cooper_GTI

ill put money on it that a 50 quid 4 wheel laser alignment would have given you the same feel driving on the road as a 200 quid all singing all dancing all aligning things that don't need to be aligned alignment

ill put money on it that a 50 quid 4 wheel laser alignment would have given you the same feel driving on the road as a 200 quid all singing all dancing all aligning things that don't need to be aligned alignment

You really dont know just how wrong you are.

The tracking and front camber had already been "set" by my local garage, but it made no difference to the way it drive, hence why i went the whole hog. It didnt handle in the wet, it tramlined over white lines and it oversteered in the wet. They even set the camber with the wheels off and the front jacked up in the air, meaning that when it was dropped back down, negative camber was induced as the wheel rotated around the arc of the wishbone and it sat like it had collapsed. Most garages just dont know what they're doing with modified stuff.

After the full setup the handling was sharp and precise. It's now just as chuckable at high speed in the wet as in the dry, and the castor has been change to induce more negative camber during hard cornering, increasing the contact patch and ultimately grip.

It knocked 5.5 seconds off my lap time at Mallory anyway. Although i was running 15's as opposed to 16's.

Edited by Cooper_GTI

Yes, there was a small amount of adjustment possible in the standard top mounts.

Did he tell you that? cause he is lying! There is absolutely no adjustment what so ever from standard top mounts

I hate it when you are wearing a belt and bend over to pick something up then belly button hair gets caught in it

You my friend are a legend

And I think I'll run with no adjusters

Edited by franny

I thought you needed rose joints etc to be able to adjust castor?

I thought the only things adjustable were camber and toe?

:D Love It. How much for the third down 2nd in on the left ;)

Looks to be the wrong fitment that, you'd have to take and angle grinder to the loops on either end

The gooch has no relevance though, what does it actually mean, where did it originate from???

At least barse has an origin :tongueout: :tongueout:

the op makes a fair point but the way he has come across and put his point, makes him sound like a patronising cock, if you look through previous threads there is always usually a post of warning that springs are loose upon being jacked up, but in alot peoples cases this is remedied by using zip ties which holds the spring in place on the rear beam so when jacked down it relocates in the correct position

this is the way i have ran for more than 2 years now, and countless other member have ran,

and being an engineer you by all means should know that something in theory may not always transpire in practice so what works for you may not work for everyone else as everyone runs different setups different length shocks different length springs so everyone will have different outcomes

so as with everything you read on the internet do so at your own risk