Memory settings topic #45689987

Sorry for yet another head unit topic but hopefully you'll see it's not wasted :)

I've replaced the VW Beta tape HU with my old inphase ips247bt. At first I had another wiring loom attached from the previous fit, but found there wasn't enough space for the unit to slide all the way back in. Either way the same problem occurred.

I have the HU plugged in directly with the same loom as the VW Beta tape, direct fit. And it works well. Except the classic settings loss.

Now I have no red and yellow wires to swap and these wires don't seem plug and go. I'm not very good with wiring and electricals by the way.

Here's what I have, the standard loom I believe:

photo22nx.jpg

photo12ns.jpg

I'd love to know what I can do to get the settings to stay.

Soon enough I'm going to get my vibe sub/amp fitted to but I'll leave that to someone that knows better :) Though some places here charge a lot! They would've charged me enough for what I've already done.

Looking at that i'd initially say the thick brown and red need to be cut and swapped. However, the brown could well be an earth, which would lead to a meltdown! lol

Have you got a multi-meter? If not, either buy one, or go to a local garage and ask them to see if the red wire becomes live only when the ignition is turned on and if the brown wire is permanently live. If so, then cut them and swap them. But be carefull not to touch the wires to anything metal! I.e. head unit cage etc

Where are you based?

Please don't do that! The solid brown wires are earths on VW's.

I think an Autoleads PC2-04-4 is just a male to female adapter with the power wiring swapped over, but I'm not 100%. It's said to work according to the 'how-to' guide so I'd try it if I was you.

Sound, I'd probably try that then. Problem is, I tried another similar adaptor more by accident as it was attached to the unit when it was in my puma... And my hu wouldn't fit all the way in (it was the wrong adaptor anyway as it didn't resolve anything either)

Thanks mate. I thought I'd managed it... today it was working fine, though not fitted in fully yet.

Few stops around town and then back home for an hour. Went back out and the battery is flat. Could it be I need to hit "off" before turning off the engine? Or is it more complex?

Either way I now have a flat battery too :(