Handbrake lever high?

I have to yank my Handbrake lever up to, basically my shoulder, obviously this isn't normal. I found minimal information through Search so it must be a rare occurrence, but the info said:

take off the smaller centre console part surrounding the Handbrake, once off, tighten the two bolts at the rear, behind the lever.

I was wandering if what I have found through Search is the way to fix it, even if it will?

Don't take this the wrong way, but, have you tried adjusting the handbrake? This is a common fault on the MX5's, the cable stretches like mad and the handbrake pretty much points to the sky.

My first port of call would be adjust the handbrake, if no luck then replace the cable, because its more than likely stretched.

Just my 2 cents ;)

I don't profess to know everything about cars, but i thought the bolts you've been advised to tighten were the bolts used to adjust anyway? haha!

i'm 99% sure that is what you need to do, makes sense.

When I took the rear calipers off my lupe there was a cable running on to the caliper (if you have them) that was a nice easy adjust when I boshed them back on, just a moveable clip. If they are drums I am a clueless fool but assume there would be some kind of adjustable clip behind the drum also :)

The best technique is to bosh it off and see what's there :)

Hmm intresting, my Nissan was adjusted by the calipers :S

Ok Il rephrase that, Any car I have ever worked on or owned has been in center console. I presumed this was pretty normal.

Lupo

TT

Fabia

• 7 months later...

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a3b4/jetdrumrearbrakes.htm

This explains all. Adjusting at the lever is not the answer. The adjuster wedge can be accessed through one of the wheel nut holes. The diagram is for A3 but is the same setup for the Lupo.