Still tapping

blupoben

Hi I've owned my lupo for nearly 4 years and had almost every problem possible and recently rubuilt my engine all was well for about 2k then a random tapping started to occur from the head spoke to loads of mechs who assured me it would be the tappets so I set to replaing them to find out when I started it that it still tapped just wondered if anyone had ever come across this before as I'm now at a dead end and just don't know what to do :( any help would be very apreciated

Thanks ben

Did you prime them before fitting them? Sometimes they stick and wont fill with oil if you don't, also, it could possibly be your injectors that are tapping...

Yeah mate, do that. I did I set on my redtop corsa once and they were eBay specials and they stuck shut and tapped after being replaced so I fitted a proper set that cost more but they worked a treat.

Only thing is I got the set from tps who are supposed to be suppliers to vw so I don't really know what the difference would be between theirs and vw's apart from an increase in price where would be the best suggested place to get them from ?

Personally I went straight to vaux for my second set, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay extra, if they don't cure the tapping though you can always throw them back at the dealer if they're faulty.

Only thing is I got the set from tps who are supposed to be suppliers to vw so I don't really know what the difference would be between theirs and vw's apart from an increase in price where would be the best suggested place to get them from ?

Was it in VAG packaging?

when my 16v was tapping it was 2 of the 16 lifter valves that had seized up so i had them all replaced then run a valve treatment through it a few weeks apart ..... sounds sweet now...... have you squeezed out your breather pipe ? it could be mayo'd up

When you did the engine rebuild did you replace the oil pickup pipe?

Tapping can be a sign of low oil pressure at the top end of the engine and the oil pickup pipes are prone to becoming somewhat blocked!

No I didn't that was one of the only things I didn't replace didn't think you'd need to as it was all cleaned out before going back together but If that may be the cause then I'll give it a shot :) how much are the pick up pipes any idea ?