Up! coming at the end of the year - supposedly

dxg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like it and to those saying they should bring out a mk2 Lupo, this is it! VW want to sell cars, not appeal to a minority of enthusiasts of a car they designed almost 15 years ago!

@shaunsprules, smoothing it all off would leave less room for a buyer to modify to their tastes. Chopping the roof would remove the spacious feel that ppol so appreciate in the lupo.

I think you miss the point, this probably (in some guise) will become the Lupo MK2.

After all the new Scirocco was project named the Iroc pre production.

I quite like it. Can't blame VW for moving forward with vehicle designs.

I want this small car, to actually be small (but larger than the ruddy iQ!) in regards to every other car out there, all the usual 'small' cars, are now seemingly MASSIVE!

Check the new Corsa, Fiesta, Clio. All of them were relatively small back in the Lupo day.

I like it, if they bring out a GTI version in a couple of years, I'll probably consider it. Unless they are all DSG like the new Polo GTI, in which case it will be another car that VW struggle to sell.

When I spoke to the Volkswagen dealer that looks after our cars one of their guys had been to a clinic run by Volkswagen to show the UP! to their dealers.

He has been told that the car will be UP! not Lupo, there had been plans to resurrect the name plate but they decided against it.

He told me that the car is very good looking in the flesh and that the cabin, although toned down dramatically from the concept is a quantum leap over the Fox.

I asked about a GTI, he said that at launch the emphasis is on the low running costs, excellent fuel economy and low CO2 output. He said that the suggestion is the range topper will be the 1.2TSI from the Polo SEL with around 105PS.

At launch they are looking at two special editions, the White and the Black.

In the future there will be an Electric model with an 80mile range.

Anyone care to change there mind's?.......

fantasticgreen.jpg

Still looks like a fox, which to be fair is a poorly disproportioned car that is impossible to find a decent looking angle to view from.

Despite external appearances it is still a frame with bolt on bits and a bolt in engine - as all cars will continue to be for a long time. Why cant they use more conservative stylish (much loved) design - as vw are famous for - and put the eco engines in those. Whatever VW think, lots of people still want performance over economy. Im sure it wouldnt take much effort to rekindle the lupo shape in a modernised lightened chassis with a bay that is easily adaptable to accomodate their current range of engines and a modernised interior.

I actually hope the Up! is an utter failure, i can imagine the Sun newspaper headlining "Tits Up!", or "Complete F*** Up!"... the possibilities are endless for them!

theres no chance they would look at the lupo for inspiration because to be brutally honest it wasnt much of a seller, neither was the fox, due to other manafacturers selling better specced better looking cars for smaller price tags

the up is a great modern looking little hatch with eco engines which is what the market wants,

the market dictates what cars look like and what engines go in them, otherwise cars flop

A mk2 lupo would be amazing! Especially if they kept the design concept close to the original cause it would make a killing in the car market today as so many more people are buying small cars. Totally agree with BEP51, with a few tweaks here and there it would be perfect. A new lupo gti would be so lush if they dropped the 1.8t in the polo into one. would fly :wub:

If they put a 1.8T in a polo do you think golf, scirocco, A3, S3, Ibiza and Leon's sales would increase or decrease?

All cars with similarly powered engines available. There has to be price difference for the speed!

It was the polo gti after the version of the polo that had lupolike lights. 150bhp, a very good car, I think they may have been dsg only, may be wrong though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like it's going to be called the "up!" (exclamation mark included). Oh, and there's a website too:

http://www.volkswagen-up.com

and the video:

21 August announcement date, which - if I'm right - is before the public unveiling at the Frankfurt motor show.

Edited by dxg