How many o2 sensors does a 1.4 lupo have ?

If it's pre-2000 it'll have just one, located between the engine and the catalyst. If it's post-2000 it'll also have a second sensor located after the catalyst. Both screw in, they aren't welded. It will be the first sensor you will need to change if any. The second sensor is only used to monitor the efficiency of the catalyst and doesn't effect the fuelling of the engine.

As for interchangability, it will depend if it's a 4-wire (heated narrow band) or 5-wire (wide band) sensor. Other than that, most sensors function the same way and only the plug and cable length differ. I've never checked but I would be surprised if all VAG models of equivalent model year and engine type/size didn't use the same sensor.

FWIW my 1.4 Lupo is running happily with a Ford/NTK sensor (it was free) ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Mine failed on emissions too, check the exhaust system on some ramps mine had a small hole in the centre at a join, fixed with a £3 tin of gungum sealant. If you have a hole it'll suck in fresh air from outside and skew the lambda results, because the emissions test is done with a sensor at the tailpipe, not plugged into the ecu. A new lambda sensor is about £50 and may not solve your problem.