Poly bushes plus coilovers

angelo77

Is anyone running kwv1s with poly bushes,

Starting rebuilding mine and showing her a bit of love as she's is looking a little bit worse for wear at the mo.

Also is anyone using an updated rear arb?

The track car I was sharing with my dad has sold now so going to concentrate on getting the Lupo ready for the occasional track day but mainly for a bit of a blast.

Any comments welcome,

Regards

Angelo

Hi, not running kws, I have weitec coilovers and poly bushes front and rear. Have replaced front arb and droplink bushes too which got rid of a knocking so I'd change those as well a they are cheap. Also have the whiteline arb which is the biggest change I've noticed although on the stiffest setting it an be a bit frisky in the rain. Altogether the whole car feels very planted and handles brilliantly now.

All in all well worth doing the lot together then getting aligned straight away.

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Patrick

Are the front arb and droplink bushes standard or were they poly as well, trying to decide between the weitec coilovers and the H&R cup kit. Just bought a locost with a blade engine with my dad as a dedicated track toy, the lupo is just going to be for the road. How are you finding the coilover with speed bumps etc?

Cheers

Angelo

Polybushes make a big difference - remember your original bushes are nearly 10 years old! Would you use a 10 year old condom?

If you get good quality coilovers speed bumps are not a problem, but must be treated with respect

I have/had KW V1's with poly wishbone bushes and arb link bushes, along with the whiteline rear arb. It's well worth replacing the bushes at the same time as fitting the coilvers. As defcon says, no point in spending >£500 on suspension then using it with 10 year old bits of rubber.

I used the softest setting in the arb and it was enough for me. The back end comes into play nicely when provoked.

My car has 110,000 on the chasis and 60,000 on the new engine, new race cat and ss exhaust from manifold back, plan is suspension next, new polybushes all round new rear arb and suspension. Be purchasing parts from al at awesome. Anything else a should change at the same time?

The car is just for fun, lots of speed bumps where I live, have a navara for work and now have the locost for the track.

Has anybody tried the h@r cup kit?

At the moment I have budgeted for the following:

Polybushes £200

Suspension £450 wertec or H&R Cup

ARB £130.00

Alighment £70.00

total £650 ish

Spent £675 on the exhaust £900 on the engine, timing belt etc so any parts that need changing will be.

Has anyone use the ast top mounts?

Edited by angelo77

Check out http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53864

James runs the following setup:

Suspension

Whiteline/Awesome 20mm 24mm Rear Anti-Roll bar, fully adjustable.

Custom rose jointed adjustable RARB drop links.

KW V1 "Inox Line" coilovers, lowered 60mm on rear 50mm on front.

Camber increased on front to 1.75°, Toe -1mm to increase Ackerman steering.

Powerflex custom ARB link bushes.

Powerflex custom front ARB mounting bushes

Powerflex track control arm bushes, front and rear

Powerflex modified rear beam bushes

OMP Polo 6N front lower tie bar

Tie rod flip to reduce bumpsteer

AST fully adjustable solid top mounts, set for max castor

Hi Patrick

Are the front arb and droplink bushes standard or were they poly as well, trying to decide between the weitec coilovers and the H&R cup kit. Just bought a locost with a blade engine with my dad as a dedicated track toy, the lupo is just going to be for the road. How are you finding the coilover with speed bumps etc?

Cheers

Angelo

Hi sorry haven't been on in a while. The arb bushes are standard and awesome al sorted me some poly droplink ones for around £20 I think. The car is surprisingly good over speed bumps etc much smoother than standard suspension with 70k. Just don't go mad with the lowering if you want a decent ride.

Check out http://forums.clublu...showtopic=53864

James runs the following setup:

Suspension

Whiteline/Awesome 20mm 24mm Rear Anti-Roll bar, fully adjustable.

Custom rose jointed adjustable RARB drop links.

KW V1 "Inox Line" coilovers, lowered 60mm on rear 50mm on front.

Camber increased on front to 1.75°, Toe -1mm to increase Ackerman steering.

Powerflex custom ARB link bushes.

Powerflex custom front ARB mounting bushes

Powerflex track control arm bushes, front and rear

Powerflex modified rear beam bushes

OMP Polo 6N front lower tie bar

Tie rod flip to reduce bumpsteer

AST fully adjustable solid top mounts, set for max castor

Yeah, it's actually scary that you can go as fast round corners as you can in a straight line. lol

Polybushes are well worth the money.

• 4 months later...

Just thougth I would update this now I have had a few hundred miles with them on.

All of the suspension bushes have been changed to poly witht the exception of the front antiroll bar bushes.

I have some standard bushes to go on when the car comes back from the bodyshop as I struggled to fit the golf ones, There should be some poly ones for sale early next year from awsome as they are under development at the moment.

Next, I opted for wertec coilvers, very well made for the price, went on very easy

I then adjusted the whiteline rear arb from medium to hard

I am running 25mm spacers on the rear

Tracking and alignment done at sheldons tyres, as I was struggling to get to awsome for them to set it up.

Impresions so far, Need to have the rear arches rolled or raise the suspension up a little as they catch when I am pushing on.

The first few hundred miles, the ride was a bit bouncy, they have settled now or I have gotten use to it so it is not as noticable.

Lots more confidence on turn in, car settles into the corner and stay planted, entry speed is higher, speed through the corner especialy on long sweeping bends is much more confidence inspiring.

Rough cost are below:

Suspension 450 Poly bushes+rear arb 231 tracking and camber 65

Plus labour if you are not doing it yourself. I cheated with the bushes and hired a ramp for the weekend for a £100.00

With other parts ball joints, engine mount, few other bits and bobs it has cost me £981.00 to overhaul the suspension carrying out the work myself

Thing left to do: Replace ball joints, These are on my desk at work

Chase NFBR at awsome for a price on some spacers for the front

Fit the uprated lower engine mount

Once the car is back from the body shop I am hoping to have the suspension parts replaced, fit the front spacers and have the car set up properly at awsome.

Long term,

Lower strut brace

rose joints for rear arb

Bigger brakes

Depending on if or how many times I get out on track next year, adjustable top mounts, the same as 99hjhm

KWv3, for adjustability, this mainly dependent upon not buying a dedicated track toy.

Hope this is helpful if anyone is looking to improve the way there car handles

PS, After all this love and attention she has thrown a hissy fit and one of my headlights has stoped working, Just hope its not the ballast!!

Regards

Angelo

Edited by angelo77