Next car C30 vs VRS

JamesTdi

I am at two ends of a stick here, got a budget of what Im wanting to spend on a car/insurance. On being cheap to run, other just dam fun ;)

Been looking at a Volvo C30 1.6d r-design, nice high spec car which is cheap to run. But other car went and test drove a new Skoda Fabia VRS 1.4 tsi 180bhp which was just mindblowing fast for what it is. Turns out the VRS is 700quid cheaper to insure (crazy)at same price as the C30. Tho being dam quick and petrol, will cost a lot to run and may loose my license.

Is speed worth it? What you guys go for? I still in college in uni soon sooo what will be best...

Vrs fabia should get mid 40's to the gallon!

And ill tell you what they are rocket machines off the line! You just cant compete with that dsg box... I got absolutely mullered in my gti from one!!

Bloody rapid

Vrs fabia should get mid 40's to the gallon!

And ill tell you what they are rocket machines off the line! You just cant compete with that dsg box... I got absolutely mullered in my gti from one!!

Bloody rapid

They are epic as I drove one the other day, so fast! Cant even start to explain how good the gear box is! And the whole turbo/supercharger system gives power what ever gear, what ever revs all the way through the rev range!!

Edited by JamesTdi

I am at two ends of a stick here, got a budget of what Im wanting to spend on a car/insurance. On being cheap to run, other just dam fun ;)

Been looking at a Volvo C30 1.6d r-design, nice high spec car which is cheap to run. But other car went and test drove a new Skoda Fabia VRS 1.4 tsi 180bhp which was just mindblowing fast for what it is. Turns out the VRS is 700quid cheaper to insure (crazy)at same price as the C30. Tho being dam quick and petrol, will cost a lot to run and may loose my license.

Is speed worth it? What you guys go for? I still in college in uni soon sooo what will be best...

As a Lupo owner who also has a C30 and rates Skoda’s highly, I appreciate your dilemma. Not driven the VRS but two close friends have and by all accounts ‘bloody amazing’ just about sums it up. However one loved the gearbox whilst the other hated it and felt that ultimately it compromised the car for him. He was considering chopping his Focus ST in for the VRS but the gearbox put him off.

The C30 is a different animal but is an amazingly capable car, especially if you do a lot of miles, in some ways it’s a true grand tourer. Went round Europe last summer and had the choice of my C30 or the other half’s S2000. At the end of the trip we were both relived we went in the Volvo, the Honda would have been painful and that’s ignoring its hideous thirst for fuel. Have done a few 600+ mile trips in a day in mine and I felt fine at the end of it. The 1.6D is brisk but not quick, having said that it has loads of oomph at 85+mph and last summer was happy to cruise at 100mph (at a whisker over 3000rpm) on the autobahns. It’s worth adding that at that speed it would still have been very happy to pull much higher speeds but I was trying to be considerate to an engine that only had 10,000 miles on the clock. Diesels do take a long time to bed in. Mine is the drive variant of the 1.6D and has averaged 58mpg over 20,000 miles.

In terms of build quality there is not much in it, they are both well thought out and well screwed together vehicles. The C30 does cost more to insure (quite mad really) but is cheap to tax.

To sum up, speed and thrills = VRS; long distance, comfort and lower fuel costs = C30.

I would say get a vrs, they are amazing, ( I am biased though as I own one). They are very quick as you said and I average between 40 and 45 mpg. And I Can't really complain about the comfort of it either, I have done a few long journeys in it and felt fine afterwards. I have also had mine remapped and it does go like a rocket and driving normally get better mpg than not remapped.

Only problem is the Fab vRS is f**king ugly and the three people I know who've got them on order have been waiting 3 months and still have no build date?

As a Lupo owner who also has a C30 and rates Skoda’s highly, I appreciate your dilemma. Not driven the VRS but two close friends have and by all accounts ‘bloody amazing’ just about sums it up. However one loved the gearbox whilst the other hated it and felt that ultimately it compromised the car for him. He was considering chopping his Focus ST in for the VRS but the gearbox put him off.

The C30 is a different animal but is an amazingly capable car, especially if you do a lot of miles, in some ways it’s a true grand tourer. Went round Europe last summer and had the choice of my C30 or the other half’s S2000. At the end of the trip we were both relived we went in the Volvo, the Honda would have been painful and that’s ignoring its hideous thirst for fuel. Have done a few 600+ mile trips in a day in mine and I felt fine at the end of it. The 1.6D is brisk but not quick, having said that it has loads of oomph at 85+mph and last summer was happy to cruise at 100mph (at a whisker over 3000rpm) on the autobahns. It’s worth adding that at that speed it would still have been very happy to pull much higher speeds but I was trying to be considerate to an engine that only had 10,000 miles on the clock. Diesels do take a long time to bed in. Mine is the drive variant of the 1.6D and has averaged 58mpg over 20,000 miles.

In terms of build quality there is not much in it, they are both well thought out and well screwed together vehicles. The C30 does cost more to insure (quite mad really) but is cheap to tax.

To sum up, speed and thrills = VRS; long distance, comfort and lower fuel costs = C30.

Very well summed up, thanks! The e-drive do have brilliant mpg, tho i always wonder why they never gave it a 6th gear? :S

You can get the VRS mapped to 210-220 ;) i also like the look of the new monte carlo fabia, only a 1.2 tsi mind.

Monte Carlo edition is a diesel, very small diesel engine tho :/

Only problem is the Fab vRS is f**king ugly and the three people I know who've got them on order have been waiting 3 months and still have no build date?

I'd buy one 2nd hand from a dealer, theirs one sat at my local Skoda dealer so like you said, delivery time is ages! The problem is the DSG gearboxes, they cant produce enough of them to cope with orders...

Plus, I prefer the looks of them to a Ibiza, plus the interior is nicer!

will cost a lot to run and may loose my license.

If you can afford to drop £13000 on a car I dont see how a 1.4 Skoda can be classed as expensive to run?

The easy way to not lose your license is to not drive like a tit. Its not hard not to do double the speed limit is it

The fabia isnt the best looking id admit

But i guarantee if slammed on coils i may well change my mind

The ibiza cupra is nice too!

For any vag car your talking 3-6 month build date... Not just skoda

Personally id just buy a pre-registered demo

I'd buy one 2nd hand from a dealer, theirs one sat at my local Skoda dealer so like you said, delivery time is ages! The problem is the DSG gearboxes, they cant produce enough of them to cope with orders...

Plus, I prefer the looks of them to a Ibiza, plus the interior is nicer!

Didn't help skoda knocking the VAT amount off all their new cars for 3 months!